Thanks to the amazing Hannah for this recap!
Aria is kicked out of the Reverie pod and must fend for herself in the Death Shop. She meets Perry who is searching for his nephew, Talon, after he’s captured by the Dwellers. He agrees to help Aria find the Bliss pod so she can find her mother. He hopes that Aria and her mom will be able to help him find Talon. They travel together on foot and join forces with Roar and Cinder. They run from the Croven tribe hunting them, take refuge with Marron who fixes Aria’s Smarteye, and then finally make it to the Bliss pod. Aria searches for her mother, and Perry leaves to return to his tribe.
What went down?
- Aria is kicked out of the Reverie pod after breaking into the agriculture dome with some friends, which resulted in a fire and deaths
- Dwellers capture Talon (Perry’s nephew), try to kill Perry, and then Perry flees from the Tides
- Aria and Perry meet, Perry agrees to help Aria find her mother if her mother will help him find Talon and they two set off to find the Bliss pod
- Perry leaves Aria alone so he can go hunt, she wanders off and meets members of the cannibal Croven tribe, and Perry kills them to save Aria
- Perry reunites with his best friend, Roar, and learns that his sister, Liv, ran away before being married to Sable, Blood Lord of the Horn tribe
- They find out that Cinder, a dispersed boy, has been following them and discover that he has hidden abilities when he injures Perry’s hand with Aether
- All four take off when they realize they are being tracked by Croven who want revenge and take refuge with Marron
- Marron fixes Aria’s broken Smarteye, recovers her recording of the fire and a message from her mother, and Perry accesses the Realms and finds Talon
- Aria, Perry and Roar leave Marron’s and are attacked by the Croven, but Cinder saves them when he kills the Croven with Aether
- Perry renders to Aria (but doesn’t tell her) and they learn that Aria is an Audile
- They make it to the Bliss pod, and Perry and Aria separate as Aria goes to find her mom
How did it end?
Perry: After separating from Aria, Perry wins the loyalty of a group of six men. They travel with him back to the Tide compound where Perry must face his brother, Vale. It’s then revealed that Vale sold Talon, his son, to the Dwellers and set Perry up to take the fall for it in exchange for food. They discover he’d done with other Tide children. Perry and Vale fight before the tribe, Perry wins and kills Vale. He then becomes Blood Lord of the Tides.
Aria: Aria looks for her mother in the Bliss pod and discovers that she has died. She’s captured by Guardian Dwellers in the pod and makes a deal to help them find the Still Blue so that they won’t harm Talon. She’s dropped off in Delphi and is able to say goodbye to Roar and Cinder before they depart for the Tides. She picks a violet and tells Roar to give it to Perry when he sees him. Two weeks later she’s sitting by the fire when she hears the sound of Perry’s approach.
Any weird terminology you?
Dwellers – People living inside pods that protect them from the world outside.
Outsiders – People living outside the pods in the “Death Shop”.
Dispersed – People who live outside of tribe protection
Death Shop – Name for the world outside the pods.
Aether – Electrified energy that causes incredibly violent storms.
Marked – Outsiders who are gifted with a dominant Sense.
Markings – Tattoos given to those who are Marked to identify their Sense.
Audile/Auds – Outsiders who have a heightened sense of hearing.
Seer – Outsiders who have heightened sense of sight.
Scires – Outsiders who have a heightened sense of smell and often taste.
Rendered – When a Scire is bonded to another person.
Croven – A cannibal tribe of Outsiders.
Horns – A large tribe in the north led by a fierce leader, Sable.
Blood Lord – The leader of each of the Outsider tribes (such as the Tides).
Smarteye – An eyepiece attached to all Dwellers that allows them to access the Realms.
Realms – Virtual places created by computer programming.