What went down
- A guy called Doug has been taking Demon’s Breath. He crashes into Kaylee’s car and is taken away in an ambulance. Kaylee swears to find out where he got it, because Emma is currently dating him and she wants to protect her friend.
- Kaylee gets Nash to help her with her investigation. He’s hesitant at first but he finally gives in, because Demon’s Breath is deadly to humans and Emma could be in danger if she’s inhaling it like second hand smoke.
- Demon’s Breath comes in black balloons. Doug says he sold his last balloon to Scott, Sophie’s boyfriend.
- Nash calls Kaylee a tease because he’s a pushy asshole.
- Nash and Kaylee find a balloon in Scott’s car. Nash takes it and says he’ll give it to Tod to dispose of it in the Netherworld.
- Kaylee wakes up in the Netherworld after a bad dream. She has trouble sleeping after this.
- The less human you are, the less susceptible you are to Demon’s Breath.
- Scott starts seeing a shadow man who wants to take him to the Netherworld. Scott tries to get Kaylee to cross him over, but Kaylee fights him and pushes him over, and Scott hits his head. He gets taken to the psychiatric ward because the Demon’s Breath has messed with his brain.
- Kaylee tells her dad and Harmony some of what has been going on, but not where Doug and Scott have been getting the DB. They’ve been getting the DB from a half-harpy called Everett.
- Everett shows up at a party with some black balloons full of DB. Kaylee finds a red balloon in Nash’s gym bag. It’s his. He’s been taking DB since they went to the Netherworld in the previous book, and Avari has been providing the DB for everyone. Nash has been paying Avari with emotions from his memories, including his memories with Kaylee. So when he looks back on those memories, he feels numb.
- Doug takes some DB from Nash’s red balloon, which is stronger than the stuff in the black balloon, and starts convulsing. He is taken to hospital.
- A guy called Alec possesses Emma while she’s sleeping. He tells Kaylee that he’s stuck in the Netherworld and wants her help getting out.
- Kaylee realises that Avari has been possessing her like Alec is possessing Emma, in order to contact Nash.
- Alec tells Kaylee that Nash is in the Netherworld with Avari.
- Kaylee goes to get Tod, who tells Kaylee that Doug is going to die. Kayleee tells Tod about Nash being a prat addicted to the DB.
- Tod reveals that he’s been trading his “service as a courier” between the worlds so he can have an hour a day with Addison. He’s been bringing the DB over from the Netherworld without knowing it.
- Alec takes over Emma’s body again, but Avari pushes him out. Avari tells Kaylee (through Emma) that he’s been inside Kaylee several times. He says that Nash didn’t even realise one time, and implies that it got sexual. He asks Kaylee to cross over to save Nash, but she refuses.
- Once Avari leaves, Tod arrives and promises that he’ll pop in when he’s finished work so Kaylee can take a nap. Avari can only possess her when she’s sleeping.
- Avari possesses Sophie, and threatens Kaylee’s dad. Tod finds Sophie and knocks her out, meaning Avari can’t control her body any more since she’s unconscious.
- Kaylee tells her dad and her uncle what’s been going on. Shortly after this, her dad is taken to the Netherworld by Avari.
How did it end?
Bean sidhe (female) – They scream when someone is dying, and suspend the soul in the air so it can’t move on to the afterlife.
Bean sidhe (male) – They hear the females’ screaming as singing, and can put souls back into the body in exchange for another’s life. They can also Influence people’s emotions.
Reaper – take the soul once a person is dead.
Hellion – A kind of demon that resides in the Netherworld. Quite powerful. They feed on emotions and souls.
Netherworld – Where all kinds of hellions, faeries and things live.
Avari – Hellion of greed.
Crimson creeper – A poisonous plant.
Fiend – Creepy little buggers in the Netherworld.
Proxy – Non-humans that the hellions keep alive for many years so they can snack on them.
Lampade – Exist in both worlds at once. “Liminal light” runs through their bodies like blood. Can use the light to create doorways between worlds.