With the help of this hot guy called Nash, Kaylee discovers that she is a banshee. She screams when someone around her is about to die. With the help of a male banshee – like Nash – she could, hypothetically, put the soul of a dead person back inside their body. Her classmates start dying and she and Nash have to figure out why, and who’s behind it.
What went down
- Kaylee goes to a club with her friend, Emma, and the hot jock called Nash starts talking to her. Suddenly she feels the urge to scream, so (uh-oh) someone’s gonna die.
- A second girl dies at the cinema where Kaylee works, so she uses Nash’s computer to look up the dead girl. Nash and Kaylee kiss, and I guess from here on out they are dating.
- A girl called Meredith dies at school. Nash comforts Kaylee and calms her down. Meredith was a friend of Kaylee’s cousin, Sophie. Sophie’s a bit upset.
- Kaylee talks with her aunt – Valerie – about her screaming issue. It happened when Kaylee was younger, and she was institutionalized back then, so Kaylee is worried she’s going to have to go back on pills or into hospital. When Kaylee leaves the room, her aunt and uncle call her father (who lives abroad) and tells him that he needs to fly over and tell Kaylee the truth. About what, Kaylee is not sure.
- Kaylee assumes she has a terrible illness, so she looks it up and asks Nash about it. Nash asks to meet her because he has something to tell her.
- Nash tells Kaylee that she is a bean sidhe (banshee), and that he is one too. When a female bean sidhe screams, the soul of the dead person is suspended in the air. A male bean sidhe can mess with people’s emotions, or influence them. They can also put souls back into the bodies, but not without someone else nearby dying in the resurrected person’s place. When bean sidhe feel intense emotions, their irises start to swirl.
- Nash and Kaylee go to hospital to meet Nash’s ‘friend’, Tod. He’s a reaper. He tells Kaylee and Nash a bit about how reaping works. They ask if it’s possible that someone could be stealing souls from people who aren’t meant to die yet. Tod says his boss would know if a reaper was doing it. He agrees to look the three girls’ names up on his boss’s list.
- Kaylee talks to her aunt and uncle. Aunt Val is human, like Sophie, and Uncle Brendon is a bean sidhe like Kaylee’s father.
- Tod tells Kaylee that the three names weren’t on the reapers’ list, so that means that Kaylee was right: the girls weren’t supposed to die.
- Kaylee, Emma, and Nash go to the memorial service for Meredith. Kaylee senses that someone is going to die. This time it’s Emma. She collapses as the gap between the human world and the Netherworld starts to close in. Kaylee sings for Emma, and together she and Nash get Emma’s soul back inside her body.
- As a result of Emma coming back to life, another girl is killed. Kaylee and Nash see the reaper who’s doing the killing so now they know what she looks like.
- Kaylee briefly fills Emma in on what’s been happening, although Emma doesn’t really want to go into too much detail.
- Tod tells Kaylee that back when his boss was starting out as a reaper, souls were being poached like they are now. They’re being taken to the Netherworld, perhaps as a payment to a hellion.
- Kaylee’s father arrives. She tells him about what’s been going on, and that the girls’ names weren’t on the list.
- Kaylee’s father then tells her about her mother. Kaylee and her parents were in a car accident when Kaylee was a baby, and she died. Kaylee’s mother sang for Kaylee and brought her back to life, and so Kaylee’s mother died instead. The reaper who took Kaylee’s mother came back for Kaylee later on, but it wasn’t her time, so Kaylee’s father punched him in the face and sent Kaylee to live with Val and Brendon.
How did it end?
It turns out that Tod and Nash are brothers! Awww.
Bean sidhe (female) – They scream when someone is dying, and suspend the soul in the air so it can’t move on to the afterlife.
Bean sidhe (male) – They hear the females’ screaming as singing, and can put souls back into the body in exchange for another’s life. They can also Influence people’s emotions.
Reaper – take the soul once a person is dead.
Hellion – A kind of demon that resides in the Netherworld. Quite powerful. They feed on emotions and souls.
Netherworld – Where all kinds of hellions, faeries and things live.