This review was written and submitted to us by the wonderful Ula from Blog of Erised. She is awesome, and we honestly can’t thank her enough!
Allison “Allie” Sekemoto lives in the Fringe, the outer circle of a vampire city of New Covington. She’s unregistered, poor, alone and always hungry, a street rat battling to survive. When she discovers a stash of food in the dangerous part of land over the wall, she convinces the gang she lives with to go with her. But they all get killed by the rabids along with Allie. She is saved by a vampire and offered to become one herself – and she accepts. After the transformation she learns to become a vampire. But her maker is on the run and in hiding and they are discovered. She manages to escape because of her maker’s sacrifice and starts wandering the broken America. She meets a group of travellers, led by a crazed fanatic in search for a vamp-free city of Eden. She joins them without revealing she’s a vampire, but she gets discovered. She must leave the group, but she stays behind in the shadows and follows the group to Old Chigago. There she saves the majority of the group, meets her blood brother and escapes into Eden. She also falls in love, but her love remains in Eden while she goes back to find her sire.
What went down
- Allie hates vampires, but she hates dying more. After her group gets attacked by rabids and dies, she is the only one saved by a human-loving vampire. He offers her a real death or a Turning and she accepts the latter.
- After she becomes the monster she hates so much, Kanin, her sire, teaches her all about vampire society, politics etc. She also learns how to use a weapon – a katana.
- But Kanin is on the run because he’s the reason rabids exist. First they get attacked by a crazy vampire Sarren, looking for revenge, but later on they encounter even bigger trouble. When the city’s Prince learns about him, he sends his men to capture Kanin. Kanin sacrifices himself so Allie can escape over the wall and into the wilds.
- Allie wanders the vast country side of broken America and stumbles upon a child, lost in the dark. She takes him back to his group that turns out to be a small congregation, led by a tough man, searching for vampire-free all-human city of Eden. She joins them pretending to be human and travels with them for a while.
- But soon Allie gets discovered and scared off by the boy she thinks she loves. She should leave but she remains in the shadows and follows the group when she can. But the group gets captured and led into Old Chicago, a wild city run by a self-proclaimed vampire Jackal, Allie’s blood brother. She meets up with Zeke, the boy she is smitten for, who managed to escape, and they set off to save others.
- They managed to save most of the group and probably killed Jackal as well. They are on the run and after a short while they see a lake with a city. After they come closer, they realize, it’s Eden. But before they get there, they are attacked by a pack of rabids. After they are saved by Eden’s army, they are led inside a huge wall, a sort of pre-city to Eden.
- But Allie is a known vampire and she must leave. She does that voluntarily even though she doesn’t want to. She leaves her friends and love behind while she goes back to save Kanin.
How did it end?
Allison, with the help of Zeke, managed to lead the group into Eden. They were saved by the Eden army after the attack with the rabids, and they were all taken care of. But when a doctor comes to check up on Allie, she admits she is a vampire and leaves voluntarily. She is escorted out of the pre-city and asked to never return. While they were travelling, she kept feeling that Kanin was in pain, so she sets off to save him like he once saved her.
any weird terminology?
Fringe – outer circle of the vampire city of New Covington, where Registered live.
Registered – people, owned by the Prince of the city, that regularly donate blood in exchange for food.
Unregistered – rebels like Allie who refuse to be bloodbags and scavenge and beg for survival.
Rabids – vampires with mutated genes because of the Red Lung Virus that started the apocalypse; they are white and have sharp claws, attacking anything that moves. The live beyond the wall of the Fringe
Eden – a mythical (but actually real) city of only humans, set on an island
Inner city – Vampire part of the city of New Covington (ALSO IN BOOK ONE!)
Mole men – cannibalistic humans living in the sewers of New Covington (ALSO IN BOOK ONE!)