Sera was created in a Diotech lab using synthetic DNA. She is a highly-functioning human being who’s multilingual, is exceptionally intelligent, has killer looks, purple eyes and a photographic memory of sorts. She meets Zen when he climbs a wall to her house which is in a restricted area of Diotech’s research compound.. They fall in love again and again despite the removal Zen from Sera’s memory. Diotech experiments on her all the time and replaces those memories with fake ones to make it seem to her as if she has a life. In actuality, she’s a prisoner. Sera and Zen decided to escape to the year 1609 to get away from Diotech using Sera’s transession gene which gives her the ability to time travel. However, their plan goes awry and they land in a year that’s only a hundred years before Diotech’s creation. Zen follows Sera and a whole lot of things occur which results in Zen being taken away. Sera finds Dr. Maxxer online when looking for the location of Diotech. She has arrived from the future to help Sera figure everything out. After their meeting, Sera meets Alixster to surrender herself and to free Zen. She ends up remembering how to activate her transession gene which her creator deactivated to protect her. In the end, she tricks Alixster and then escapes with Zen to the year 1609.
What went down
- A girl wakes up and finds herself in an ocean surrounded by bodies of dead people as a result of an air crash. The rescue team finds her alive and unscathed. All she remembers, though, is the year, 1609.
- She stays in the hospital for five days during which she gets to know that she’s sixteen, that her eyes are purple (a nurse starts calling her Violet), and that she owns a locket which has S + Z = 1609 engraved on its back.
- Hundreds of people are claiming that they know her but, they’re all imposters because they don’t mention any locket.
- However, a boy does come to see her and tells her that she wasn’t supposed to be here and that he’s going to get her out of there. Violet thinks he’s probably another imposter.
- As she apparently has no family, Violet goes to live with a foster family, the Carlsons, in their old ranch house.
- She finds a note in the clothes she was found in which says ‘trust him’ but Violet has no idea who it’s referring to.
- Heather, her foster mom, and Violet go to the supermarket. In the parking lot, the same boy comes to talk to her when he sees that she’s alone. He calls her Sera (which is short for Seraphina), tells her that he knows about the locket as he’s the one who gave it to her, and that she has to keep on hiding herself from the media.
- At home, she asks thirteen-year-old Cody, her foster brother, to take her to Los Angeles. They strike a deal that if she solves the Goldbach’s Conjecture, Cody will take her. She does and they leave early next morning.
- In LA, they go to Freedom Airlines office and come across an air hostess who tells Sera that she doesn’t remember her boarding the plane.
- They come back home and get scolded by Heather. It’s all fine, though.
- Next day, at the mall, the boy again comes to talk to her. He finally tells her that he’s Lyzender (Zen), that she called him her soulmate. He tells her that he found her in a lab which is why she’s different from everyone and has no family that he know of.
- Hearing this, Sera gets upset and wants to get away but then Zen recites a line from Shakespeare’s Sonnet 116 and Sera responds with another involuntarily despite not knowing what it is. However, she still doesn’t believe him and runs away.
- At home, she borrows Cody’s laptop and finds out that 1609 is related to Shakespeare’s Sonnet 116 which was first published in that year.
- Sera realizes that a man is stalking her.
- Back at home, she searches online for Diotech, the company Zen told her is looking for her. She finds a weird paragraph about it which doesn’t make sense to her.
- Sera decides to go to the address Zen gave her but stops at a diner on her way because she gets hungry. She finds her stalker there but he doesn’t approach her.
- Someone else starts comes to her and starts questioning her, so she leaves but is then hogged by the press outside. She runs towards the forest and a muscular man starts chasing her.
- But it’s her stalker who finally catches her. He’s Dr. Rio and he’s the one who created her in a Diotech lab.
- Zen comes to her rescue and persuades her to leave with him and agrees not to hurt Rio.
- Back at their hideout, Zen shows her a silver cube and tells her that it has her memories stored in it.
- He places two cognitive receptors behind her ears and the third one at the base of her neck. Then he starts triggering a few of her memories by using certain keywords.
- It works.
- Sera finds out that she was living in a house in a restricted section inside a research compound. Zen also used to live there as her Mother was a head scientist at Diotech.
- Sera lived with Dr. Rio and the scientists were altering her memories, adding fake, happy ones to cover up the experiments they did on her.
- They also removed a lot of her meetings with Zen but they fell in love over and over. Finally, they had to come up with a signal where Zen puts two fingers to her forehead and Sera remembers the feeling.
- The next day Cody arrives at the address Zen and Sera are staying at and tells her that some scientists came looking for her.
- The two of them end up stealing a car with Cody’s help to go somewhere else to hide.
- On their way, Zen tells her that they had decided to escape but the plan went awry which is why Sera ended up at a crash site and not where they were supposed to escape to. They stop for gas which is when they spot two men from Diotech coming for Sera. Zen tells her to run and gets shot and taken away in the process.
- Sera is helpless but she knows he’ll be at the Diotech compound and decides to go there with Cody’s help.
- First, they search for the location of Diotech online and find someone named Maxxer on a website. The person sends her a chat message right away and tells her that they should meet in person but that first, she should talk to another person trying to contact her.
- Just then, Alixster calls her on the stolen cellphone and strikes a deal that he’d let Zen go if Sera comes back willingly. She agrees.
- Shortly after that, she goes to meet Dr. Rylan Maxxer who puts Cody to sleep and takes them to her storage unit. There, she tells Sera that she was the head scientist at Diotech before she escaped because she no longer agreed with the direction they were going in.
- Dr. Maxxer tells her that they are actually present in a time hundred years before Diotech’s creation. Zen and Sera were escaping to the year 1609, with the use of the transession gene, to get away from Diotech but Sera ended up in another year and Zen found her using a trail (in this case, her photo in the news) from the year they escaped from.
- Cody wakes up and Dr. Maxxer replaces his memory of it all and they leave to meet Alixster. She drops Sera a short way away from where she’s to meet Alixster and takes Cody with her to drop him off at his home.
- The GPS coordinates points to a location underground so Sera goes inside the canyon, jumps off and lands deep inside a tunnel which opens up to a room.
- There she finds Zen, cuffed and sitting on the floor, and Alixster.
- Alixster orders for her to be cuffed as well and talks about how Sera fell in love over and over and decided to screw up all his hard work.
- Rio interrupts the meeting and asks Alixster to hand over Sera. After a short argument, Rio dies but not before he gives Sera a strange message about finding something in her heart.
- Zen tells Alixster that Sera’s transession gene is broken and he’s right.
- Sera focuses on Rio’s message and it triggers a memory of him giving her the transession gene, telling her about some sort of a deactivation mechanism in her locket, and finally taking away Sera’s memories at her request.
How did it end?
Sera admits that she knows how to fix the gene but she won’t reveal it unless they let her talk to Zen first. She goes close to him, locket in hand, and kisses him focusing on getting away from the place. Their bodies converge with air and they vanish. They arrive at the mouth of the cave and Sera tells him how she did it. They spot one of Alixster’s agents behind them and are running out of time. Together, they leap from the edge, going where they were supposed to in the first place: 1609.
Cognitive receptors – Small disks that link the brain to the hard drive so that the data on it can be accessed.
Diotech – An evil and secret research compound founded by Jans Alixster and Dr. Havin Rio.
Modifier – A gun that gives an electric shock when its trigger is pulled.
Project White Flower – The project that created Sera.
Transession – To cross-exist against time and space via the transession gene i.e. time travel. People in direct contact with the transessor are also transported along with the carrier.
Dr. Maxxer comes to help Sera because in some time, Sera will travel to her future where she’ll meet Dr. Maxxer in her past, telling her where to go and how to help her. This is why Dr. Maxxer set up a message-board posting to find her.