March 19, 2014
Davy tests positive for HTS, and is sent to a different school that allows carriers. She breaks up with her boyfriend, loses her own friends, and everything goes to crap, but it’s okay because she meets Sean, a fellow HTS carrier. They’re sent to a camp HTS carriers, where they have to take part in various training sessions. Sean and Davy eventually escape to the Mexican border.
what went down
- Davy tests positive for having the kill gene – HTS, or Homicidal Tendency Syndrome – and her friends and boyfriend reject her for it.
- Davy has to leave her fancy school and join a new one that accepts HTS carriers. Here, she meets fellow carriers, the most important being Sean and Gil.
- Coco, one of her classmates, is doing sexual favours for their sleazy teacher because it’s the only way she feels she can survive.
- Davy goes to an ex-classmate’s house party with her boyfriend, Zac, who had been ignoring her prior to this. Her ex-best friend tells her to leave, but Zac ignores her. Zac takes Davy upstairs, and tries to make her feel bad for not sleeping with him. Davy gets angry and leaves the house, she breaks up with Zac officially for being an arse, and she slaps him for trying to take advantage of her. He offers to give her a lift home, but she refuses and calls Sean to come pick her up instead because it’s getting close to curfew.
- Zac is convinced to press charges against Davy for slapping him. She is taken from class and imprinted with a big H on her neck, which matches Sean’s. Carriers don’t get any second chances, so the people in charge don’t listen to her story.
- Davy’s teacher tries to make a move on Davy, but Sean steps in and stops him before things escalate.
- Davy visits Sean at his foster home. The two start to grow closer.
- Some carriers cause mass panic across the country when they pull off a shooting. This causes the schools to close, and eventually all of the carriers are shipped off to detention camps. Davy gets the chance to go to Mount Haven, which takes in the more important and intelligent carriers. She convinces them to let Sean come too. Gil is also there.
- Davy has trouble fitting in at Mount Haven, where everyone seems to be specialised in something, or else very intelligent. Davy chooses to focus on building up her physical strength, since that is where she feels she is weakest.
- Jackson starts to pick on Davy. Sean steps in several times and protects her.
how did it end?
The teenagers at Mount Haven take part in a hunt. They split into teams. Davy’s team wins, and along the way restrains Jackson’s team, which makes him mad. He attacks Davy, and Sean tries to step in. They’re both restrained. The solider in charge tells Davy to shoot Jackson, or he’ll shoot Sean in the head. Davy does it.
Davy, Jackson, and Gil escape from Mount Haven together with some outside help, and almost reach the Mexican/Texan border. They are biding their time to figure out the best time to cross the border without getting shot, since the new policy is to shoot people on sight.