Thanks to Jessica for writing this recap!
Indie is the popular girl in school, then she sees a guy die right in front of her. Suddenly, she’s involved in a rivalry between witches and sorcerers. The sorcerers wanting to murder all witches, which Indie just now finds up that she is. The only way they can actually kill all witches, though, is with The Witch Hunter’s Bible, a book that has recently been stolen from her mother’s occult shop. And, of course, there’s a spell on the book that the sorcerer’s believe she cast. They threaten her and her family to break the spell, and now, with the help of her new sarcastic friend, Bishop, she has to come to terms with her new abilities and save the lives of witches everywhere.
what went down
- The book begins with Indigo (A.K.A. Indie) in cheerleading practice. After practice, she runs into Paige. Paige was her friend long ago, before Indie became friends with Bianca (uber popular, bit of ‘a girl dog’ if you get my drift). Paige is sort of geeky and needs a ride. Indie reluctantly lets her get in the car.
- While driving, a body appears out of nowhere. They exit the car and, along with many other people, find a dead teenage boy.
- There’s a crumpled piece of paper by the body. Indie picks it up.
- Indie makes it to her mother’s occult shop (Paige has since gone her separate way) and has a run-in with Devon, her boyfriend. They both go into the shop and see Indie’s mother. She warns Indie about letting anyone near “The Book” (The Witch Hunter’s Bible)
- Devon tells Indie about Jay-Z tickets he scored. When he leaves, Indies opens up the note she found. It has the address of her mother’s occult shop on it.
- The next day, Paige and Indie are called into the office during lunch. Once there, they find two “cops” who are there to “interview” them about the dead guy.
- They are not cops and are intent on finding The Book. They cause Paige to collapse in some odd sleep-like state and question Indie. When she won’t say anything, they threaten to torture and kill both of them. Fearful, Indie gives in and says everything she knows (not much). Satisfied, the two not-cops wip Indie’s memories of both this event and the events of yesterday. Before she blacks out, she notices that one of the not-cops eyes are completely black.
- Also, the not-cops mention the name Bishop. This is important.
- Game day comes up and Indie has to cheer it. During the whole game, a random guy Indie has never seen before (let’s call him Leather Jacket Guy) laughs. The entire game. This kind of pisses Indie off. He confronts her after the game, but Indie just passes him off as a creep and goes off to the Jay-Z concert.
- Leather Jacket Guy shows up at the concert and confronts her again. He says something about her mother that worries her (especially since she hasn’t heard from her all day). Indie leaves the concert early and hails a cab to the occult shop.
Leather Jacket Guy is outside the occult shop. This is getting really weird. Indie runs inside the unlocked door, locking it behind her.
- Indie finds her mom under a pile of books, about to be crushed by a bookcase. When Indie rushes to help, Jacket Guys pops his head in, asking if they “need a hand”, Indie decides to call 911 and just as she does. Jacket Guy pulls off some super strength and lifts the bookcase away. Indie is about to thank him, despite the fact that he’s a creeper, but he’s gone. Of course.
- The police interview Indie’s mom and she doesn’t remember anything. The police also mention that there have been many cases of back-outs and memory loss lately. Interesting.
- Oh, and The Book is missing.
- Her mom freaks out. Indie promises to find it and decides that the first place to look is by asking Leather Jacket Guy.
- For help, Indie decides to get Paige even though they aren’t really friends. They drive around, looking for Leather Jacket Guy, which doesn’t take very long. Indie tries to question him, but he won’t say anything actually usually, just acts weird, and ends up in the car on the way to an after game party.
- Oh, and Leather Jacket Guy has a name. It’s Bishop.
- They go to the party. Indie wants to check on Devon because he has been texting her all night. Indie finds him in bed with Bianca, her so-called best friend.
- Indie still wants answers from Bishop, but he still won’t say anything. Unless they are in a private location, like the Hollywood sign. Indie is reluctant because he might be an ax murderer, but she takes him there. Once there, Bishop says it’s not close enough and Indie has to chase after him, only to find him 10 ft. in the air.
- Bishop will also only answer if they actually go up to the Hollywood sign, by flying.
- Bishop finally tells Indie that he’s a warlock and has been stalking Indie because she might possibly be a witch (and would get her powers the next full moon. He explains that there is a rivalry between the Family (witches &warlocks) and the Priory (sorcerers). The Priory is intent on killing all witches, but can’t without losing their powers. Unless they have The Book, which carries a spell that can let them kill witches and keep their powers.
- Reminder: The Book is missing
- Bishop also mentions the not-cops. They are part of the Priory, but, of course, Indie doesn’t remember them.
- Bishop runs off because the Family is after him. They are unhappy that he let The Book get into the wrong hands.
- Indie goes back to school and everyone knows what happened with Devon. Indie ignores Devon and Bianca, sitting with Paige instead.
- The night of the full moon appears and Indie doesn’t receive any magical powers. Indie goes off to take a shower, a bit disappointed.
- By the way, while they were waiting for the powers, there was a story on the news featuring people at the Getty Center suffering from blackouts and memory loss. Familiar?
- After her shower, Indie walks into her room to find a strange man. He says his name is Frederick (one of the not-cops). He’s there because some spell was put on The Book and he thinks Indie did it. He threatens her to take off the spell. Indie says that she isn’t even a witch and even if she was, she wouldn’t have gotten her powers until that night. He thinks she’s lying and kidnaps her mom.
- Indie enlists the help of Paige. Bishop also magically appears, of course.
- They go to the Chinese Theatre as a “hiding in plain sight” kind of thing. Bishop goes in alone, with Paige and Indie staying in the car.
- Frederick shows up messes with the car (pushing it and whatnot). Paige and Indie run and go their separate ways. Frederick follows Indie and terrifies her all around L.A.
- Indie gives up and says she knows how to break the spell (a lie). Frederick takes her into the theatre and on the screen is her mom and Bishop tied up. They are actually in the screen and there’s a tiger about to attack them.
- A person from the Family shows up (the tiger disappears). She’s supermodel hot and is referred to as Jezebel. She’s also kind of scary and threatens Frederick to free her boyfriend. Yep, her boyfriend is Bishop.
- Bishop is freed, but Jezebel doesn’t want to save Indie’s mother and leaves, but Bishop stays. A large, magical fight breaks out and Jezebel eventually returns (because of Bishop). Frederick dies and he’s hung, but they are too late and they find Indie’s moms body lifeless on the screen.
- Indie goes to her mother’s funeral. Later, after missing days of school, she goes back and ends up standing up to Bianca and Devon.
- Bishop comes over to help practice Indie’s magic. Bishop believes that she might still be a witch. They end up making a deal where Indie will practice magic with him if they do a spell that will allow Indie to hear her mom’s voice again (from a past conversation).
- They go to her mom’s shop to do the spell and it works. It was a conversation that Indie had with her mother, but she has no memory of it. Hint: it was one of the memories that were erased.
- When they walk out of the building, Indie suddenly remembers the dead guy from the beginning of the book. In case you haven’t figured it out by now, Bishop is the dead guy. Bishop explains that he did die, but he has a ring that allows him to have many lives. He also explains how Frederick and Leo (other not-cop) took her memory.
- They go to Bishop’s place, which is a mansion since Bishop can magic money. Indie learns how to move objects and finds out that she is, indeed, a witch. Oh, and Jezebel is not Bishop’s girlfriend. They broke up months ago.
- At school, Indie gets called to see her cheer coach. She goes to the gym and finds her cheer coach, but she also finds Leo, who is controlling the coach’s actions. Leo makes the coach stab herself with a pair of scissors and she dies. Then, he tries to rape Indie. Indie is able to use her newfound ability to get away.
- Bishop and Indie go to the sand dunes to practice flying. Doesn’t really work out well.
- They then make out.
- And, Bishop says he regrets it, so Indie goes back to hating him.
- Bishop, Jezebel, and Indie are at Bishop’s later to come up with a plan. Indie thinks it will be a great idea to use her as bait (Bishop doesn’t). They end up deciding to do this at homecoming.
- Something to remember: Alice Frangere
- Homecoming day shows up and Indie goes with Devon (not as a couple). They win homecoming king and queen and Devon kisses her on stage, which doesn’t make Indie very happy. Especially since Bishop was watching.
- Bishop left after the kiss and the fire alarm goes off (Bishop’s doing). So the room evacuates and a paper mache dragon comes to life.
- Indie also figures out how to fly.
- A bunch of Priory members show up and there’s no sign of the Family, so the three run and they hide in the sewers.
- Bishop and Indie kiss, in the sewers.
how did it end?
Leo and the Priory find them. Indie promises to take off the spell on the book if they kill Bishop and let her and Jezebel go (Indie has a plan). She unlocks The Book by saying ‘Alice Frangere’. After being put into cells for a while, they are taken to a bog. The Priory preform a ritual from the book on Bishop, then they kill him (not really). Then they turn to do the same to Indie, despite their deal. But it turns out the ritual didn’t work and they no longer have powers. Oops. The book is a fake.
Everything is dandy, for a little while, as our main characters won, then Indie finds a text from Leo. Paige has been taken.
The Family- Witches & Warlocks. They’re kind of scary, but they’re the good guys here.
The Priory- Sorcerers. They’re rivals of The Family are are intent on killing all of them. Though, they can’t kill any of them without losing their powers
The Witch Hunter’s Bible- Book of spells that The Priory really really want, thanks to a spell that allows them to kill witches and warlocks.