Thank you to Christine for recapping this series!
Emily and her crew must face Max who is under the Elf King’s command. Much is revealed about the history and causes of the current conflict.
what went down
- Max is spending time with his friend Layra, an elf. Then we see Max with Vigo, who is just a young kid, so we know this is somehow taking place many years in the past.
- Max is exceling at the Academy, but Max’s father doesn’t want him to be a Stonekeeper.
- A newspaper headline reads “Elves Declare War.” Layra’s parents are imprisoned because they are seen as a threat and possibly spies for the Elf King, simply because they are elves.
- Max is indignant, knowing they didn’t do anything wrong. He helps them escape prison and arranges an airship to take them to safety. However, the airship is caught and blown up, killing Layra and her parents, devastating Max. Max uses his Amulet to attack the ship that blew up his friend.
- Max receives a 50 year sentence in the ice prison of Korthan for his actions. He escapes prison and is close to death, but gives his Amulet complete control in order to survive.
- 50 Years Later… Max still looks young. He is leading troops of elves to the prison to see Chronos, a mountain giant he believes with be an ally against the Guardian Council. He is still loyal to the elves.
- Max gives Chronos a piece of the Mother Stone, making him a Stonekeeper. The Elf King orders Max and Chronos to attack the city of Frontera.
- Vigo has been studying ghostlike transmissions of past Guardian Council meetings to learn what happened after he left years ago. Emily sees a young Max in these old transmissions and is confused. Vigo explains they were classmates at the Academy and tells her about the Void where Stonekeepers can go to examine past memories and possibly alter reality. In the past, Silas encouraged Stonekeepers to enter the Void, but Vigo says Silas didn’t understand the dangers.
- Meanwhile, Mom sends Navin off with Cogsley and the other robots to pilot a Colossus, a giant robot built for battle. Navin meets Alyson Hunter, who has also been training to be a Colossus pilot. The plan is for the Colossus pilots to support Emily and Vigo (the last of the Guardian Council) in the battle to come.
- Emily and Vigo see that Frontera has been destroyed by Max and his army. Vigo believes Max will attack the city of Lucien next.
- Emily and Vigo will be escorted by Enzo and Rico in their airship; Navin is travelling with the other Colossus pilots.
- Emily asks Vigo about the dangers of the Void. Vigo tells her about his son David who wanted to bring back his mother who had died. David went into the Void, fell into a deep sleep, woke terrified, and then died. He thought he was talking to his mother, but he was actually talking to the Stone. The Stone then returned to Vigo after David’s death.
- Meanwhile, Luger tries to stop Trellis from entering the Void, but Trellis doesn’t listen. When the ship is attacked by Max and Chronos, Trellis is in a deep sleep. Navin and Alyson pilot a Colossus for the first time to fight back.
- Max lands on Emily and Vigo’s ship; they fight him with their Amulets. We see Emily, Vigo, and Trellis all plunging through the air off the edge of the ship.
- Trellis wakes up in the Void and sees himself as a young boy. Trellis is welcomed by his Uncle Vergil who explains some history… King Levitas, the 4th King, talked to his Stone, was possessed by it, and sent the elves into civil war. Vergil has read Silas’ book On Stone Power and believes the Stones are for power, communication, and travel and that Stonekeepers can be influenced by a dark spirit or Voice in their Stone. Vergil says the Voice appears when the elves are in a time of conflict which is then followed by 500 years of peace. Vergil’s brother/Trellis’ father/the Elf King speaks to his Stone which worries Vergil. Vergil recognizes who Trellis actually is and warns him not to try to fix things in the past, but instead to do what is best for the future.
- Trellis leaves, fights off the Voice, and sees Emily who helps him wake up from the Void, but is still stuck there herself. Trellis uses his Amulet to form a protective bubble around himself, Emily, and Vigo, so they do not fall to their deaths. He then goes back into the Void to bring back Emily while Vigo stands watch.
- In the Void, they see Max surrender to the Voice in his Amulet. Emily and Trellis both leave the Void and safely return to the present.
- Trellis says that the Voice has taken control of his father the Elf King and used the elves to start the war. Trellis realizes that his ancestors are not to blame, but rather the Voice is responsible. Emily says they can work together to stop it.
- Navin and Alyson find Emily, Vigo, and Trellis and bring them back to the airship.
- We see Max, severely injured and not wanting to go on, but the Voice fixes his broken bones and forces him to continue; he flies off with Chronos.
how did it end?
Emily approaches a chess board in the Void, challenging the Voice to face her and play.
Panels with squiggly borders indicate the action is taking place in the Void. Panels with straight borders take place in the present.