what went down
- Octavia has grown up on an alien planet. People from Earth were trying to travel elsewhere but they crashed on this planet and they weren’t able to fix the ship.
- Octavia’s parents are scientists and are on the Council.
- The scientists are researching native species. They have a lot of different animals in captivity.
- One creature called a philax is tranquillised and Octavia also passes out.
- Octavia’s father chastises her for being weak.
- It is revealed that two species are able to communicate telepathically.
- The Council changes the laws so that students will start an internship in one of the compounds once they turn sixteen.
- Octavia’s grandmother went missing while on a research trip.
- Octavia comes across a man with spots on his body. He is caught by the scientists.
- Octavia is able to pick up eggs that are too hot for the other students to touch.
- Octavia is put in the Paw for her internship.
- Octavia’s parents argue about working with Dr Albatur.
- Rondo suggests that the spotted man is one of the Faloii.
- Octavia’s mother doesn’t let her eat zunile.
- Rondo researches the ship that crashed. One hundred people aren’t accounted for after landing. There’s no record of any catastrophe that could have killed them. It turns out that Octavia’s grandfather was on the ship and he vanished along with the others.
- Yaya suggests that the Faloii killed the people who are missing.
- The teenagers go on a research trip outside of the compound. They’re attacked by a creature and are separated. Octavia is protected by one of the Faloii called Rasimbukar. This is the spotted man’s daughter. She wants her father back.
- If Octavia doesn’t return Rasimbukar’s father, the Faloii will go to war with the humans from Earth.
- Jaquot died on the trip.
- Octavia’s mother tells Octavia that her brain is different to everyone else’s. This is why she has some sort of telepathic connection to the native species of Faloii.
- Octavia realises that zunile is meat and freaks out. The Faloii said the settlers were not to eat animals.
- Dr Espada also has this telepathic gift. He is able to communicate with Octavia, her mother, and the Faloii.
- Octavia’s father asks why she went to see Dr Espada. He also tells Octavia that he needs the egg.
how did it end?
Octavia and the group of teenagers distract the scientists so they can get Rasimbukar’s father, Adombukar, out. The scientists are looking for the egg, so they use that as a distraction. Octavia learns that Albatur and his scientists have been building towers that will harvest energy from the Faloii. Adombukar needs the egg. He releases all of the animals from the labs.
Octavia’s mother and Dr Espada are killed.
Octavia is taken to the home of the Faloii. Her grandparents are waiting for her there.