Read a full summary of The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Ex Hex and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in The Ex Hex?
- Vivienne and Rhys are together… until he announces that he needs to return home to Wales in order to break off a betrothal. Vivi is understandably upset and storms off, effectively breaking up with him.
- Vivi and her cousin, Gwyn, curse Rhys. Jokingly, but if you have read the synopsis of the book then you know it’s not as casual as they thought it would be.
- Nine years later, Rhys has to return to town to charge the ley lines. It’s a big anniversary and the town is planning a massive celebration.
- Rhys is almost run over in his first five minutes of being in town… by Vivi. And then while he’s giving a speech, the head of a statue almost crushes him. It’s then that the characters realise this isn’t just a joke curse.
- Vivi apologises and admits what she has done. She goes along to the ley lines with Rhys and everything is hot and steamy, until Rhys puts some of the curse into the ley lines and curses the entire town.
- The pair head to the university to do some research. The witchy part is being haunted by a ghost called Piper. They try to find her altar and end up trapped in a cupboard.
- Rhys’ father arrives and tells Rhys he should come home with him because the town clearly isn’t safe.
- Rhys and Vivi realise that Piper was looking into what happened to Vivi’s ancestor. They talk to Piper and figure out that Rhys’ ancestor stole magic from Vivi’s ancestor, and that’s why the curse is stuck on Rhys.
- Vivi allows her ancestor to possess her and eventually breaks the curse. Rhys returns home for a bit but he’s unable to stay away and he gets a job at the university alongside Vivi.