Read a full summary of The Prey by Andrew Fukuda below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Prey and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
what happened in The Prey?
- The Hunt is still going on. The vampires are chasing the humans down the river. Gene finds a message from his father, The Scientist, telling him to stay on the river. The vampires set a trap while Gene remembers his time with his father, back when Gene was a child and was wondering why they didn’t just turn into vampires instead of pretending.
- The humans get away from the vampires and then tumble down a huge waterfall that undoubtedly has sharp rocks at the bottom.
- They end up in a cave, and have to climb a well in order to get out. They walk through the woods and come across a log cabin. Shortly after their arrival, a girl finds them. She starts asking them where the Origin is and they’re like wtf are you crazy.
- Clair, the girl, takes the group to her village, which is called the Mission. The village is run by Elders. Gene notices that there are hardly any men in this village, the majority of the population is young and female. Sissy overhears people talking about how Gene’s father hanged himself in the log cabin.
- The Elders tell the newbies about their various bylaws. There are a bunch of them, so I won’t list them all here. Basically, the Elders sound like prats and they don’t like girls with big feet. Gene and Sissy come across a train track and wonder what it’s doing there.
- Girls in the village are tattooed with Merit Marks, which are smiley faces rewarded for good behaviour.
- The Elders show the newbies a vampire that they’ve been keeping in a glass prison. Sissy is determined to get to the bottom of the weird goings on in this village.
- They go to Krugman and demand that he explains. He says that the Mission is an outlook post for humanity and that the train tracks lead to Civilisation, a safe place where humans stay. Gene is suspicious because back in The Hunt, he heard that there’s somewhere called the Ruler’s Palace, where humans are imprisoned like cattle. Krugman tells them that the Scientist lost his mind, and was going to go back to Civilisation. But he hanged himself instead. Krugman wants to search Sissy for the Origin, which is something that the Scientist was also prattling on about. Sissy refuses.
- Sissy goes missing. Epap and Gene go looking for her, and they find her drugged up. Ben figures out that Gene is the Origin, and it’s in his DNA. That’s why he’s called Gene. The group discus whether or not to board the train headed to Civilisation, or perhaps the Palace.
- Sissy and Gene confront Krugman, and there’s a huge argument over Krugman’s lies. Krugman attacks Sissy, and Sissy knocks him out.
- Clair tells Gene that his father is still alive. She tells him that he’s east of the village, and to take a hang-glider and go to him. Clair plans on going with him. Gene runs to get Sissy, and the vampires find them. They try to escape down the well. Gene gets bitten, but nothing happens and it seems as though he really is the Origin.
- The group tries to flee the village, but Sissy feels bad about having brought the vampire horde onto the villagers. Sissy and the others go back to the village to try to help, and Gene makes his way east.
- Gene finds a hang-glider in the log cabin, and makes the decision to fly back to the Mission to help.