Read a full summary of Glass Houses by Rachel Caine below. If you can’t remember what happened in Glass Houses and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
Claire Danvers moves to Morganville to go to college. A bitchy girl called Monica bullies her, so Claire moves out of the dorms and into a house with three older people: Michael, Shane, and Eve. They tell her that Morganville is run by vampires. Claire discovers that Michael is a ghost who disappears in the daytime, but Shane and Eve don’t know this. Shane makes a deal with a vampire named Brandon to get Monica to lay off, but Claire hates this idea so she goes looking for a book that the vampires are apparently looking for. She finds the book, and tells a guy called Oliver about it. Oliver is actually evil, and he’s the one that tried to turn Michael into a vampire but failed epically, causing Michael to be a weird ghost thing that the Glass House saved. Oliver gets a bunch of people to get the book off of Claire, Shane gives Richard, a cop, a fake book, and when Amelie turns up he gives the real one to her. The book contains info on how to turn humans into vampires, and Amelie doesn’t want anyone else to know about it. At the very end, Shane’s vampire hunter father turns up and stabs Michael.
what happened in Glass Houses?
- Claire Danvers is a sixteen year old freshman at a college in Morganville. She’s being picked on by a group of popular girls, the ringleader’s name is Monica Morrell. Monica and her friends beat Claire up one day, and then promise to come back for her that night. This prompts Claire to look for a new place to stay, because the dorm isn’t safe.
- Claire sees an ad about renting a room, and goes over to the house. There she meets Eve and Shane, two of the three people who share this house and are looking for another roommate. Michael, the third, sleeps during the day.
- Eve tells Claire that Morganville is run by vampires. They give out bracelets that show that some people are Protected, but Eve’s Protection has run out, and neither Michael nor Shane have any either. Luckily, the house does. Eve leaves to go to work but she lets Claire take a nap while she waits for Michael to wake up.
- Claire begs Michael to let her stay. At first he refuses because she’s underage and that could go badly, but he eventually gives in when he realises what Claire has been going through at the dorm. He says he’ll let her stay for a month.
- Claire, Shane, and Eve are in the kitchen when the doorbell rings. Eve tells Claire to hide in a secret bit inside the pantry. A police officer is out looking for Claire, and asks if either Shane or Eve have seen her. They both deny it, and when he leaves they explain to Claire that the cops in Morganville are all working for the vampires.
- Claire tells Shane that the person bullying her was Monica Morrell, and Shane gets upset. Eve explains to Claire that Shane once got on Monica’s bad side, and then his house burnt down. His sister died. Shane left town for a couple of years before returning.
- Claire decides to go back to her dorm to get her stuff. Monica sees her, and Claire is threatened once again. Monica says she’s gonna have some fun with her.
- On morning, Claire wakes up early and goes downstairs to find Michael in the process of disappearing. She figures he’s a ghost. Later, they talk about it, and Michael confirms that he is a ghost-like thing during the day. A vampire tried to turn him, but obviously it failed epically.
- Claire meets Eve’s boss, Oliver. He says he’ll tell Monica and that to lay off.
- Shane acts as Claire’s escort for the day and goes to her classes with her. He’s not a very good bodyguard, though, because one of Monica’s friends, Gina, manages to pour acid down Claire’s back. Claire is taken to hospital.
- Shane makes a deal with a vampire, Brandon, to get Monica off Claire’s back. In exchange, Shane offers up two feeding sessions. Claire’s not okay with this, so she decides she’s going to try to find the book that all the vampires are apparently looking for. If that fails, then she’s going to forge it.
- Eve’s friend, Miranda, arrives in town. She holds a seance. She says she sees Michael dying, and Claire and Michael think she saw his actual death.
- Claire gets some chemical stuff from the lab, and breaks into a room at the library. She runs into some vampires and tells them she’s studying. Professor Wilson arrives and dies, and Claire escapes by throwing liquid nitrogen at the vampires. Before Wilson dies, he tells Claire about a black book on his bookshelf and that she needs to get it.
- Claire takes Shane with her to get the book. When they return, Claire’s parents are waiting at the house for her. They’ve realised she’s not staying in the dorm like she should be, and they shout at her about it, saying she’s too young to be living with older roommates. Michael almost wins them over, but it’s no use, and Claire’s parents give her a couple of days to pack her things before they take her home.
- Shane, upset about Claire having to leave, kisses her. Claire kisses him back because he’s hot and she likes it.
- Claire goes to see Oliver at the coffee shop, and says she wants to trade the book for “something important”. Oliver says he’ll see what he can do.
- Monica and her crew chase Claire. Claire ends up in a church, where a female vampire – the oldest there is – is waiting. Or just standing there, I’m not sure. Her name is Amelie. She asks Claire what she found out about the book, but Claire tells her nothing. Monica follows Claire into the church but gets turned around by Amelie, who clearly doesn’t like her.
- Back at the house, Oliver turns up and it’s revealed that he’s a vampire and not a very nice one at that. He starts threatening the housemates because he wants the book. He talks Eve into inviting him in, but she quickly revokes the invitation. Michael reveals to everyone that he’s a ghost, and that Oliver is the one that killed him.
- Day breaks, and Michael disappears.
- Since Oliver can’t get into the house, he brings along a bunch of human policemen, who start to invade. Miranda shows up, and she’s going slightly crazy. She tries to kill Eve in an attempt to stop the visions she’s been having. Claire talks her out of it and locks her in a cupboard.
- Richard, Monica’s brother, is one of the cops. He turns up with Monica, and asks Shane, Claire, and Eve to give him the book so no one has to die. Monica is all for people dying, of course. Shane seemingly gives Richard the book, and Richard and Monica leave. Then someone sets fire to the house.
how did it end?
Amelie turns up in the nick of time. Apparently she owns the Glass House, and she used to live there. The house offers Protection to human residents from the vampires, and vampire residents from the humans. It Protects Amelie from all. She stops the fire, and tells Claire that the book contains information on how to turn humans into vampires. She doesn’t want that knowledge passed onto anyone, because the world would become overrun with vampires. Only she knows how to turn humans. Oliver attempted it with Michael, but obviously failed. Amelie leaves with the book.