Read a full summary of The Mistake by Elle Kennedy below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Mistake and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in The Mistake?
- John Logan, teammate to Garrett from the first book, still has a crush on Garrett’s girlfriend Hannah and and is trying to get over her.
- Grace is a freshman at the University and is the daughter of a professor. She is a virgin and it’s a big deal.
- One day, Logan walks into Grace’s room by accident and the 2 hit it off. He leaves very abruptly after he orgasms and she tells him he gets there… but she doesn’t.
- The next day, Logan is worrying about the encounter. Grace has told one of her friends, Ramona, who has then gone on to tell the entire friendship group and none of them believe that Logan was actually in Grace’s room.
- Grace is understandably annoyed with all of these people. She becomes quite upset in the canteen, except then Logan arrives and kisses her on the cheek, and asks her to follow him. The two of them leave together, so the friends are forced to believe Grace.
- Logan apologises for leaving so abruptly the other night. He is determined to make up to her and the two of them get it on again.
- Logan and Grace start to date but then Logan sort of admits that he is trying to get over someone else and is using Grace to do so. Grace becomes really upset and the two of them break up.
- Summer begins, so everyone goes back home and not many people stay at the University. Logan goes to work at his Dad’s car work shop.
- Logan’s dad is an alcoholic and is unable to run the business by himself, so while Logan’s brother is going travelling in Europe with his fiancée, Logan promises that he’ll look after the shop and postpone his hockey career.
- Meanwhile, Grace goes to visit her mum in Paris. She has a bit of a makeover and dyes her hair.
- When the next year of University begins, Grace and Logan both return and bump into each other. Logan starts getting on Grace’s nerves and starts asking her out. Grace says she will go out with him as long as he completes a few tasks from her list.
- Logan and Grace start fall for one another properly. Eventually they do have sex.
- Grace is able to meet Garrett and Hannah and get to know them which Logan really likes because they’re his best friends.
- Logan returns to his dad’s house one day and finds his dad collapsed on the floor. This is the day that he’s meant to be going on a date with Grace and he has worried that Grace is going to be really upset because he has shown up late. Grace has actually already left and so Logan goes looking for her at her dad’s house.
- Grace’s dad greets Logan and comforts him because Logan has a bit of a breakdown over his home situation.
- The next day Grace goes to see Logan to find out what’s going on. Logan confides in her and the two make up.
- Logan returns to his dad’s house and finds that he is sober. Logan’s dad has been visited by Coach Jensen who has told him that Logan is putting his hockey career on hold in order to work at the shop. Logan’s dad feels very guilty and so he is determined to go back to rehab in order to clean up and allow for Logan to have a career.
- In the epilogue, Logan and Garrett are playing for a major hockey team. Grace and Hannah are watching the game along with Logan’s mum and stepfather. We learn that Logan’s dad has been sober for two years now and is doing well.