Read a full summary of The Score by Elle Kennedy below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Score and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in The Score?
- Ali has broken up with her boyfriend, Sean, who she has been with for about five years. She is worried that Sean is going to show up in the evening when she’s home alone, so Hannah and Garrett let her go and stay at Garrett’s house because he isn’t there currently. His roommate Dean is there however.
- When Ali gets to the house Dean is there with two girls and he has to kick them out. Ali and Dean get drunk and hook up.
- After this hook up, Dean finds that he doesn’t really want to have sex with anyone else, so he tries to get back in contact with Ali, who tells him that she’s not interested.
- Since this is a romance book, obviously Ali is interested in Dean. The two start texting and then they get together.
- Dean gets a new coach for the hockey team. It’s his girlfriend from high school’s father, and there is some bad blood between them because his relationship with his ex girlfriend from high school didn’t end very well.
- The coach makes Dean start coaching high school hockey players and he meets a cute young girl called Dakota, who is 10 years old and she wants to learn to play hockey so Dean offers to show her.
- Dean confides in Ali. He tells her what happened when he was in high school. His ex was suffering from some mental health issues and she pressured him into having sex with her, and then later on became quite obsessed and was talking about engagement and things. Dean called things off. Then she threatened to take her own life her own life and eventually her dad had to step in and took her to the doctor and they put her on medication.
- Ali introduces Dean to her dad, who really doesn’t like Dean at all. Alice’s dad is a single father because Alice’s mother died when Alice was thirteen.
- Dean reveals that his family are actually super rich. His parents are lawyers and his family owns hotels.
- In the winter, Dean’s best friend Bo gets into a car accident and dies instantly. Dean is understandably destroyed. He starts abusing alcohol and drugs and he goes so far as to forget Ali’s opening night at the theatre. Ali breaks up with Dean.
- Dean is tested before a hockey game, and is kicked off the team because he has traces of drugs in his system.
- Dean slowly starts putting everything right. He gets in touch with his ex girlfriend and apologises to her. She apologises to him also. He also talks to Ali’s dad and his own parents, and decides that he wants to become a high school coach for hockey. His parents support this.
- Alice and Dean make up and get back together.
- John Tucker reveals that he is having a baby with Sabrina, Dean’s nemesis.