Read a full summary of Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn below. If you can’t remember what happened in A Curse So Dark and Lonely and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
Gemma goes to the Hamptons, where serious stuff went down when she was eleven. Hallie has been planning her revenge ever since, unbeknownst to Gemma. Gemma pretends to be Sophie in an attempt to make it up to Hallie for being awful. Hallie knows the entire time and gets back at her by stealing her shoes and humiliating her. Gemma finds out that Teddy broke up with her to be with Hallie, and then decides she needs to get revenge.
what happened in Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend?
- Gemma’s “perfect” boyfriend, Teddy, breaks up with her just before they’re about to go to Colombia. Gemma is upset when she sees him with another girl.
- Gemma is sent to the Hamptons to spend time with her father, as her mother and stepfather have gone off to Scotland for something to do with fish. This is great, except back when Gemma was eleven and her parents split up, Gemma went out of her way to break up her father and his new girlfriend, Karen. Karen is Hallie’s (and Josh’s) mother.
- On the train, Gemma meets Josh, and he assumes her name is Sophie. Josh is Hallie’s brother, but Gemma doesn’t know this until Hallie picks him up from the station. She tries to tell them that she’s not Sophie Curtis (which is her friend’s name) but she can’t get her words out.
- Gemma decides to make things right with Hallie by pretending to be Sophie.
- Gemma runs into Hallie outside a coffee shop. Hallie is babysitting some twins. Hallie invites Gemma to a party that evening and tells her to wear something semi-formal. Gemma turns up and realises it’s a pool party, so Hallie lends her a bikini. The bikini falls apart in the pool, and by the time Gemma gets out in one piece, her shoes are gone.
- Hallie asks Gemma to babysit the twins. They are evil, and smash up the house and one of Bruce’s trophies. Ugh.
- Gemma takes Hallie to a concert for one of her favourite bands.
- Josh and Gemma go for dinner at a sea food place. Josh doesn’t like sea food but Gemma gets him to try a lobster roll and he enjoys it, but it then makes both of them sick. They go back to the house that Gemma is staying at and watch a movie and it’s lovely. Josh leaves the next morning.
- Hallie then invites Gemma over to a party at her place. It’s going well with Josh, and then the real Sophie Curtis shows up. Gemma fills her in and Sophie agrees to play along.
- Hallie wants to meet Fake!Gemma (i.e. Sophie) and have a chat about what happened years ago. Sophie goes along. Meanwhile, Gemma gets Reid’s email address and then fills him in on the situation.
how did it end?
Hallie throws a Fourth of July party and Josh kisses Gemma. Aw. Then someone (Hallie) sends Josh a photo of Gemma’s social media page and he’s like WHAAAAAT. Hallie comes along like “Surprise, bitch.” and reveals that she knew it was Gemma all along and that she’s been planning this takedown for years and years. It turns out that Teddy, Gemma’s ex, broke up with Gemma to be with Hallie. He seems a bit clueless about the whole thing, to be fair. So now Gemma needs to get revenge.
This is a full plot summary of what happened in Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn. Check out our recap list for more recaps. If you can’t find what you need, you can request a recap from us!