Here is a spoiler summary of what happened in Morning Star by Pierce Brown to help refresh your memory before you read the sequel.
what happened in Morning Star?
- If you recall, Darrow was captured by ArchGovernor Jackal at the end of Golden Son. Well, he’s still captured and has been interrogated and placed in solitary.
- Luckily for him, the Sons of Ares save him when he’s being transported from the fortress to the Sovereign. It turns out that Sevro has been leading the rebellion on Darrow’s behalf.
- Darrow is happy to find his family alive. He’s not so happy to learn that there are thousands of refugees now, and they’re staying near the Ares base.
- Darrow heals, and then heads to Phobos, where he needs to abduct Quicksilver and destroy the Helium station. There is a massive fight, but they manage to abduct Quicklsilver and Kavax.
- Darrow becomes leader again because Sevro is reckless and also Darrow is better at it. Sevro is angry, and he fights Darrow, but they eventually get over it.
- Twist! Quicksilver is actually part of the rebellion.
- The rebels announce that Darrow is still alive, and this leads to an uprising. Everyone is a bit more motivated than before.
- Darrow and Ragnar disguise themselves as Golds and hop onto a ship. Mustang runs into them (or… follows them) and asks to join them. They allow it. It turns out that Ragnar freed Kavax and told him to go to Mustang.
- Another ship shoots at the one the group is in. Their ship crashes into an ocean. The group finds out that Cassius and Aja were on board the ship as well. they track them down and fight them. Cassius gets hit by an arrow, and Aja falls off a cliff. They can’t find her body.
- Ragnar dies, and the team heads to the Obsidian city.
- Darrow is once again imprisoned, but at least he has his friends with him this time. Queen Alia greets them, and it becomes clear that Alia is lying to her people about the Golds being gods. This is meant to be for their protection.
- Sefi, Alia’s daughter, is to deliver Darrow and his crew to the Golds. Darrow convinces Sefi to test whether the Golds are actually gods or not.
- Sefi realises they’re not gods, and kills her Alia to become queen. Her people join Darrow in his rebellion.
- Darrow and his crew travel to Io to meet with ArchGovernor Romulus. They need his help to overthrow the Golds. Roque is also there, and Romulus has to decide which side he wants to take. He ends up joining Darrow’s rebellion, because Darrow convinces Romulus that the Sovereign are about to fight using nuclear missiles.
- Darrow’s army fights Roque’s. Roque takes his own life when Darrow boards his ship.
- Victra takes back her ships from her sister, Antonia.
- Darrow and his crew head back to Mars… supposedly.
- Darrow receives a video that shows the Jackal killing Darrow’s uncle. Riots break out. Sefi executes Golds. Sevro saves Cassius and ends the riots.
- Sevro and Victra marry.
- It turns out that Darrow’s fleet is actually heading towards Luna.
- Cassius and Antonia break free and take over the ship. They escape, and take Darrow and Mustang with them. Sevro is (supposedly) killed in the fight.
- The Jackal is on Luna. They imprison the crew in a bunker, and plan to execute them on a live broadcast. Cassius switches sides and saves the crew. Sevro is revived.
- The Sovereign is killed, along with Aja. This has all been broadcast live to the solar system.
- Mustang becomes Sovereign, and later tells Darrow that she is having his baby. Mustang goes into hiding until she gives birth to Pax.
buy the series
Interested in buying a copy of Morning Star or the rest of the series? Use our affiliate links below to help support the site!