Read a full summary of Generation Dead by Daniel Waters below. If you can’t remember what happened in Generation Dead and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in Generation Dead?
- Teenagers have been coming back to life as undead zombies. Phoebe’s school has a few zombie students, and she’s interested in this new guy called Tommy.
- Phoebe is friends with Margi and Adam, and was friends with Collette until she died and became a zombie.
- Tommy wants to try out for the football team and this causes an uproar. He’s very good though and makes the team.
- Phoebe starts talking to Tommy more and learns that zombies are quite normal, just quite slow and, well, undead.
- The Pain Gang, a group of zombie hating students, gang up on Tommy and keep picking on him.
- Phoebe writes Tommy a poem because she’s a goth and that’s what goths do. Tommy likes this and they get together.
- Tommy introduces Phoebe to his mother, and shows Phoebe his blog about being undead.
- There’s a new class at school about the undead.
- Tommy shows Phoebe a refuge area for zombies in the woods.
- Tommy and Phoebe go to the school dance together and afterwards they head to the Haunted House (the zombie refuge) for a party.
- The Pain Gang follows them and there’s a fight. One of the guys, Pete, points a gun at Phoebe and threatens her. Adam jumps in front of a bullet for Phoebe because he’s loved her all along. He becomes a zombie.