Read a full summary of Tempest by Julie Cross below. If you can’t remember what happened in Tempest and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
what happened in Tempest?
- Jackson is a time traveller and he has known this since he was eighteen. He and his friend Adam are
testing some time travel parameters. Adam is very science-y and knows his stuff.
- Jackson also has a girlfriend called Holly, who doesn’t know about the time travelling and Jackson
intends to keep it that way.
- One evening, Jackson and Holly get into a bit of an argument. They quickly make up. The following
morning some agents show up at the dorm. They shoot Holly, and try to take Jackson, but he goes back in
time to 2007.
- Jackson spends some time jumping around. He goes back in time to 2003, which is the furthest he has
gone so far. Normally he only goes back by a few minutes, occasionally an entire day, but this is new.
Jackson realises that 2007 is his new home base.
- Jackson comes across his sister, Courtney, during one of his journeys back. She is dead in his real 2009
timeline as she died of cancer. Jackson speaks to her for a bit and reveals himself as a time traveller.
- Jackson continues trying to jump back to 2009. He jumps around some more to find out what the hell is
going on with his father, who may or may not be a secret agent.
- Jackson gets arrested in 2007 with some documentation on him that says it was issued in 2008, so the
police think he’s a dg dlr. Jackson is detained at the police station. His father sends his “secretary” to
come and take him home. They are trying to figure out why he is not in Spain like he is supposed to be
for the semester. Jackson pretends he stole a French passport and made it back to the US.
- Jackson briefly speaks to his father and tells him he doesn’t want to return to Spain. His father seems to
accept this. Jackson speaks to the secretary some more, but doesn’t manage to get much information
out of her. She’s definitely in on something though.
- Jackson plans to meet up with Adam and Holly in 2007 in the hope that they can help him with the time
- Jackson goes to find Adam and they share the secret code. Adam is recruited and agrees to help
Jackson with his plan. The two of them discuss how to get Jackson home.
- Adam realises that this is Jackson’s new home base. Jackson starts looking into his father, and realises
that he is, in fact, a CIA agent.
- Jackson goes back in time and watches himself get into an accident in order to go to Dr Melvin’s office
and find his medical records.
- Jackson sees a guy called Edwards in the past as well who has been working with his father.
- Jackson’s father reveals that Jackson and Courtney were adopted. He trains Jackson to do some
martial arts and self defence.
- Jackson learns that he has a gene that allows him to time travel. He also learns that there are rogue
time travellers who are apparently the CIA’s enemy. These time travellers are called Enemies of Time,
and they’re able to do full jumps and amend the timelines. Jackson can only do half jumps at the
- Dr Melvin puts a chip in Jackson’s ear which allows him to learn a new language – Farsi – while he’s
- The Enemies of Time arrive in the lab. One of them looks like Courtney. They threaten everyone, one is
killed and the others manage to escape. The one who looks like Courtney is the twins’ biomum.
- The group talks about the potential of parallel universes and other timelines, and theories on the
timelines splitting apart like the branches of a tree.
- Jackson is threatened and so he heads home to 2009. He doesn’t end up in October, though, he
actually lands in August, so he has a couple of months to figure out how to save Holly.
- Adam, Jackson, and Holly attend a party. Jackson approaches both of them and tells them about time
travel. This is the first Holly has heard of it.
- The group end up on a boat along with the CIA. The Enemies of Time appear. Jackson’s dad saves
him, and Jackson comes across a child who is potentially his daughter – or at least a relation – from the
future. She takes him forward in time, and they see a war torn NYC. She then takes him back.
- Jackson’s dad tells him what happened to Eileen, the woman who carried the twins. She was shot and
killed by an Enemy of Time.
- The Enemies of Time reappear, and Thomas shows Jackson the future. There’s some time travel stuff,
and then the group escape.
- Jackson makes the decision to go back in time to before he met Holly so that she’s safe. Jackson’s dad
gives him a message to give to his father in the other timeline.