Read a full summary of Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton below. If you can’t remember what happened in Angelfire and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in Angelfire?
- Ellie is planning on going to college at Michigan State and is working really hard at school, although lately she has been having lots of nightmares that are a bit distracting.
- A few days before her seventeeth birthday, Ellie is finalising some of her party plans when she starts seeing a young stranger hanging around. He introduces himself to her as Will.
- While Ellie is out for a walk, she spots Will again. She wonders if he’s the one who killed her teacher, as he seems very dark and mysterious. Then Ellie starts hearing noises coming from the shadows, and she starts to run away.
- Will catches up with her and places his hand on her forehead. Memories of past lives start flooding back to Ellie, and she gains the skills and strength to fight off the thing that was making ominous noises. It turns out it was a reaper, and Ellie is able to kill it using her magical swords and angelfire.
- Ellie is FREAKING OUT. Will convinces her to calm down and that this is all real. He tells her that he is a good reaper, and he plans to train her to fulfil her duty.
- A reaper arrives at her birthday party and Ellie is thrown out the window onto her new car, which needs to be replaced.
- Memories start coming back to Ellie in bits and pieces, and she remembers dying a few times previously. She starts to wonder if her father is a reaper and that’s why his temper and attitude are so poor.
- Ellie learns that a powerful reaper names Bastian is planning to release the Enshi. The Enshi apparently destroys souls.
- Will and his friends, Nathaniel and Lauren, help Ellie get to the Enshi, which is kept in a sarcophagus. They plan to drop it into the sea near Puerto Rico so that no one else can get to it.
- The group heads to Puerto Rico and board a ship. They’re attacked by bad reapers. Ellie manages to kill one, but not before the shop starts to sink. Bastian shows up but he doesn’t seem to want to fight Ellie directly. Ultimately, the sarcophagus is thrown into the sea and presumably the pressure destroys it.
- Michael, an archangel, arrives and tells Ellie that she is his sister, Gabriel. Gabriel has just been put into a human body. Michael warns that something will retrieve the sarcophagus in the future and the Enshi will be unleashed.
- Michael tells Will that he can’t be with Ellie, which is such a big brother thing to do.