Read a full summary of The Last Bear by Hannah Gold below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Last Bear and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in The Last Bear?
- April’s father takes a job in the Arctic. It’s a very isolating position, but he’s still grieving the death of April’s mother so he thinks this is a good move for him and his daughter.
- April does not enjoy being at the Arctic post on Bear island at first. One day when she’s off exploring by herself (which she is definitely NOT supposed to do) she comes across a male polar bear.
- She of course names him Bear.
- April discovers that Bear has some plastic waste wrapped around his foot. She distracts him so she can get it off.
- April knows that polar bears aren’t supposed to be on this island and so Bear must have gotten stuck. He seems very skinny and hungry, so she feeds him mostly with peanut butter. This means that April and her father’s food stores are depleting rapidly.
- April’s father realises that she has been hanging out by herself outside and they argue. He doesn’t believe her about Bear.
- April travels in the sea with Bear to try to help him get home, which is a silly idea because it’s freezing but it’s also very brave. April’s father and some Norwegians save her.
- Bear gets home and roars goodbye to April.
- April and her father return to the UK.