Evie has always been a normal girl in a small town, but after being attacked by monsters, she isn’t that normal anymore. Evie is a Hunter. She’s also the white light, someone who is supposed to kill these monsters she encountered and close the way through. So what’s she to do when there is one living in her house…and she doesn’t notice. Well, Evie does the one thing that isn’t an option. She falls in love with Lucas. A hot guy who is currently her Lodger, and half shadowarrior. So there she is, falling in love, when she finds out the truth. Only to make things worse, turns out the man who is training her, Victor, is also the man who killed her parents. Now Evie wants revenge. Thankfully, before trying to kill our gorgeous Lucas, Victor appears, prompting Lucas to almost kill him before him and Evie escape after a fight with a bunch of monsters.
What went down
- In Fated we are introduced to Evie. She lives in Riverview, a small town she can’t wait to get out of, since everyone knows what happened with her best friend and boyfriend…
- Evie works a lot of jobs. One day, when working at a café, a mysterious man comes, called Victor Lassond. He offers her a job to work at a shop he is setting up. Evie, with the prospect of being able to go away even quicker, accepts.
- That night, as she’s closing up shop,a boy appears outside. Evie sends him away, with the reason that the shop is closed. Of course, he goes. For now…
- When she goes outside to put the bins out, she’s attacked by a group of people- well not people exactly. After she punches the boy she saw earlier, she notices she’s blind and he has a scorpion’s tail. Then a girl who has pale, green tinged skin that burns when you touch it appears, as well as pale boy who looks normal, until he shows you his fangs.
- At this point, she is saved by Victor, who takes her to his shop and explains everything. Her name is really Evie Hunter, the last pure-bread hunter in a long line of them. Hunters are people who are specially trained to fight the unhumans that Evie encountered. But there’s a twist. Evie is special. She is the White Light, the Hunter that will close the way through- the place the unhumans come through. Victor doesn’t know how, so all she can do is train, that’s the reason he’s there.
- As Evie struggles to get a grasp on the truth, we meet the enigmatic Lucas, the Lodger. And he’s pretty hot. What Evie doesn’t know is he’s part of the Brotherhood, the organisation the unhumans she encountered belong to, meaning Lucas is here to kill her. And to make it worse, Lucas is half Shadowarrior, meaning that he can turn blend into the shadows. He’s the most dangerous monster there is, hunters have only killed one before, and Evie is slowly falling in love with him.
- However, Evie is very lucky because Lucas is finding it impossible to kill her. While she is training, Lucas saves her instead. For example, when Victor throws Evie’s mother’s wedding ring into a lake, Evie dives in to find it, but instead she starts drowning. Thankfully, Lucas is in the process of stalking her, and manages to get her out before hand.
- Just as Evie and Lucas are starting to fall in love, Victor tells Evie that Lucas is a Shadowarrior. Evie feels betrayed, and his feeling is made even worse when she finds out that it was Victor who killed her birth parents.
- This prompts Evie to invite Lucas over to the shop, just so she can kill him. Luckily, she finds his task impossible, and then Victor appears.
How did it end?
Victor is almost killed by Lucas, but Evie stops him, and instead they decide to leave him tied up. As they leave the shop, intending to escape, they are confronted by the Brotherhood, and they are angry that Lucas has betrayed them. Lucas an Evie fight them off with the help of a few allies, and even though they defeat them, they lose Risper, another Hunter, and Neena a shapeshifter that was Lucas’ friend. The book ends with Evie and Lucas driving off.
Unhumans- The monsters/demons in the novel.
Mixen- Demons with Acid skin.
Scorpio Demons- Blind people with scorpion tails.
Hunter- a warrior whose job it is to kill these creatures.
Shapeshifter- A human looking unhuman who can change into anyone/anything.
Shadowarrior- An unhuman that can blend into shadows.
Sybll- An unhuman that can tell the future.
Brotherhood- An organization of Unhumans who try to kill the hunters off.