Read a full summary of The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Rise of Nine and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
Marina (Seven), Six and Ella (Ten)
Marina, Six and Ella travel to India with Ella’s cepan, where they find Eight pretending to be the Hindu god Vishnu, in the Himalayas. They learn his guardian is dead and that he can teleport, which they want to use to get to America and John. However, they are attacked by Mogs and Ella’s cepan dies and they teleport in panic, causing Six to end up alone in New Mexico and the rest somewhere else. Six is captured by the FBI and meets Sarah Hart, John’s GF, who turns into the leader of the Mogs. HALP. Marina and Ella meet up with John and Nine and get into the cave together…
John (Four) and Nine
John and Nine are captured by the FBI and manage to escape while “killing” annoying Agent Walker. They go to Nine’s safe house in Chicago where they’re both very annoying and try to kill the other and stuff. Then they have a dream (Ella’s telepathy) telling them to go to New Mexico and they do. They meet the other members of the guard and go into the cave, where they meet Sarah AND Agent Walker. Also, Setrakus Ra has turned Six into stone and pretends to be her. Eight teleports to her to hug her but gets stabbed. Their legacies are taken away and eventually given back and Marina heals everyone, but the Mogs disappear.
What happened in The Rise of Nine?
- Marina, Ella, Crayton (Ella’s guardian) and Six are on the plane to India, where apparently another member of the guard lives. In India, they are picked up by followers who claim Number Eight is the Hindu god Vishnu. They bring them to Eight, who lives in the Himalayas.
- Before they arrive, however, they are attacked by an organization that wants to kill Number Eight. Naturally, they escape. But before they meet him, Six, Marina and Ella have to deal with three of Eight’s transformations, to see if they’re really Lorien.
- They are, obviously, and Eight tells them how his guardian was killed after being betrayed by a human he loved. The Mogs took Eight’s chest, but then Marina finds it at the bottom of the lake. Eight has been living in the mountains since.
- One of his legacies is teleportation, and they want to use it to get to America and Four. They then travel to a Loric cave, where there are paintings that seem to tell the Loric’s deaths. They also see a painting where Eight has a sword in his chest. Uh oh.
- Then the Mogs attack the cave and Crayton is killed. The Loric transport, but Six ends up alone in the dessert in New Mexico, while the others end up in Somalia.
- Six gets captured by FBI and is imprisoned. But when she tries to escape, she happens to see Sarah Hart, John’s girlfriend, alone in a cell. Sarah and Six talk but THEN Sarah turns into Setrakus Ra (the leader of the Mogs) and Six is horrified, but gets thrown in another cel with the REAL Sarah. Phew.
- Marina, Ella and Eight have trouble transporting to New Mexico, but end up there eventually. Ella’s legacy is telepathy and she contacts both Six and Four, to talk about their locations.
- Marina, Ella, Eight, John and Nine meet up before the Mog cave and go in together…
- Four, Nine and Bernie Kosar (Four’s Chimaera) are captured by the FBI, who work with the Mogs. They escape but not before learning the whereabouts of Sam and Sarah from Agent Walker, who seems to die then.
- Four and Nine decide to go to Nine’s safe house in Chicago where they fight in training rooms because Nine seems to be a bastard who doesn’t care about Sam and Sarah, and they are all John can think about. Drama.
- Anyway, they manage to get the stone tablet they found in Paradise to work and find a map which shows the other members of the guard and also the Loric ships.
- John and Nine fight over where they want to go and there is more useless drama, but then they both have a dream that tells them to go to New Mexico (actually Ella using her telepathy), so they do.
- They meet up with Marina, Eight and Ella and go in the cave to find Setrakus Ra…
How did it end?
Lorien: The planet John and his fellow aliens (the Loric) are from. Lorien has been destroyed by the Mogadorians, and all the Loric’s family members are dead. These nine are the elite, and they’re meant to get back to their planet once it’s safe.
Mogadore: The planet all the evil aliens are from (the Mogadorians/Mogs). We don’t like them.
Legacies: Powers the aliens have.
Chimaera: A shapeshifting animal, like Bernie Kosar.