August 12, 2020
Read a full summary of The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Mime Order and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
what happened in The Mime Order?
- Paige heads back to London with the Seven Seals through the Tower. This turns out to be quite dangerous, and a lot of the survivors from Oxford die. Paige is injured, and she has to go into hiding.
- Ivy and the remaining survivors find a place to stay in Camden Market with a woman called Agatha, Ivy’s old boss. Ivy voices her fears of the Rag and Bone Man.
- Paige runs into Hector, who beats her for not telling him where she has been.
- Paige heads to Grub Street, where she finds a man called Alfred who is involved in a publishing house called The Spiritus Club.
- Paige then tries to butter up Jaxon and reconcile with him. She tells him about the Rephaim and what’s been happening, and he agrees to help her spread the word as long as she comes back to work for him.
- Hector’s gang is mysteriously killed. His mollisher, Cutmouth, is missing. Was he involved? Probably. A meeting is called to discuss the situation.
- The Unnatural Assembly meet, led by a woman known as the Abbess. Paige attends, and tries to raise the alarm about the Rephaim but for some reason Jaxon won’t let her voice her concerns.
- Jaxon tells the Seven Seals that he will be running for Underlord, which is a title gained by winning the scrimmage.
- Paige, not one to be silenced by a man such as Jaxon, decides to write a story – a penny dreadful – about the Rephaim in the hope that voyants and other people will read it and will become aware of the threat.
- One again, Paige is attacked. This time it’s by two Rephaim who need her to find Warden. Paige uses their psychic connection to find out that Warden is being held captive by the Rag and Bone Man.
- Terebell, one of the Rephaim who accosted her, wants Paige to win the scrimmage so that as the Underlord she can join the syndicate and the Ranthen. Paige will do this, in return for money, as she wants to turn the syndicate into an army to fight against the Rephaim.
- The survivors work on the penny dreadful and publish it as The Rephaite Revelation. Paige reads the final version and realises it has been heavily edited and portrays the Rephaim in a positive light. Alfred from the publishing house says that Felix asked for the story to be edited.
- Paige heads to the Abbess’ night club and finds the survivors being held captive.
- It turns out that the Abbess killed Hector and is still hunting for his lacky, Cutmouth. Paige needs to find Cutmouth first.
- Paige tracks Cutmouth down, but she’s too late to save her. Before Cutmouth dies, she tells Paige about the Abbess’ Rag Doll tattoo, which links the Abbess to the Rag and Bone Man. She also says something about the grey market.
- Paige tells the Ranthen to rescue Ivy, as she should know more about the grey market having grown up with Cutmouth.
- The scrimmage happens. Paige and Jaxon fight together and win. Paige challenges Jaxon just as he’s about to win the title of Underlord. She wins, and Jaxon leaves.
- The Ranthen save Ivy, and she is able to tell Paige that she used to work for the Rag and Bone Man. This guy sold voyants to the Scion, and many others were involved in doing so too. Ivy tried to tell everyone, but the Rag and Bone Man sent her off to Oxford.
- The Abbess, who has been involved in the trafficking of voyants, tries to kill Paige. She’s killed before she is able to do much, though.
- Paige calls her new syndicate the Mime Order. WHEEEEEY.
- Screens around London flicker on, and everyone sees three survivors who are about to be killed unless Paige gives herself up.
- Paige steals a body, and tries to bargain. The survivors are executed.
- Paige, understandably angry, threatens Nashira. It turns out that Nashira is now working with Jaxon. DUN DUN DUNNNNN.