Read a full summary of Wolfsong by T J Klune below. If you can’t remember what happened in Wolfsong and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
This recap was contributed by Beatrice!
Ox was twelve when his daddy taught him a very valuable lesson. He said that Ox wasn’t worth anything and people would never understand him. Then he left. Ox was sixteen when he met the boy on the road, the boy who talked and talked and talked. Ox found out later the boy hadn’t spoken in almost two years before that day, and that the boy belonged to a family who had moved into the house at the end of the lane. Ox was seventeen when he found out the boy’s secret, and it painted the world around him in colors of red and orange and violet, of Alpha and Beta and Omega. Ox was twenty-three when murder came to town and tore a hole in his head and heart. The boy chased after the monster with revenge in his bloodred eyes, leaving Ox behind to pick up the pieces. It’s been three years since that fateful day—and the boy is back. Except now he’s a man, and Ox can no longer ignore the song that howls between them.
what happened in Wolfsong?
- The book was written from Oxnard Matheson point of view, who lives in Green Creek, Oregon.
- His dad was abusive towards Ox’s mother and worked at Gordo’s as a car mechanic.
- When Ox was 12, he left after telling his son, that he’s going to get sh*t all his life and he has to be a man now.
- To pay the mortgage Gordo gives them money and employs Ox under the table until he’s old enought to work for him legally.
- One day a man named Mark comes into town, becomes Ox only friend, because he doesn’t have any due to him speaking slowly.
- Mark says his family(the Bennetts) is going to move back into town.
- On his fifteenth birthday Ox gets a work shirt with his name embroidered on it. He’s so happy, he cries.
- Now he has friends, the men at the garage. Gordo Livingstone, Tanner, Chris and Rico.
- He’s still often bullied at school.
- On his sixteenth birthday, he’s officially hired and the Bennetts arrive.
- Joe Bennett appears, a young, blond child and is instantly intrigued by Ox.
- He says Ox smells like “candy canes and pinecones and epic and awesome”.
- He introduces him, to his family, the Bennetts. His dad, Thomas, his mother Elizabeth, his two older brothers Carter and Kelly and their uncle Mark.
- Joe gives Ox a stone wolf.
- From that point Ox and Joe are the best friends.
- The Bennetts are happy to welcome Ox to their family (and sunday tradition), because before meeting him, Joe hadn’t spoken for almost two years, due to the mental damage he received, when Richard Collins kidnapped him and tortured him as a way to avange the Bennetts for the death of their pack, who were killed by hunters.
- One year later, Ox finds out, that the Bennetts are werewolves when he’s woken up in the middle of a night, at full moon, to help Joe with his first shift.
- It also turns out that Gordo is a witch and holds a grudge against the Bennetts for leaving him behind after the murder of their pack, when they moved to Maine. He’s also the mate of Mark, but because of the whole leaving thing, they don’t have any kind of a relationship. The only reason he helps them is Ox, because the boy became his thether as well as Joe’s.
- Ox becomes even more involved in the life of the family, they defend him at school, he graduates.
- Thomas is Alpha of all werewolves by birthright and after him, Joe’s going to be the next.
- Ox gets a girlfriend, Jessie, the sister of Chris. Joe can’t stand her. In a few years, Ox breaks up with her.
- He realises that he’s bisexual and has some hookups with men. Joe gets really angry when he sniffs them on Ox.
- When Ox’s 22 four omegas come, they have a fight, Bennetts win.
- Joe gets together then breaks up with a boy named Frankie.
- When he’s almost 23 Ox suddenly realises that Joe has grown up and he’s instantly attracted to him. He tries to hide it, because Joe’s still not 18 and he doesn’t deem himself worthy of him anyway, but that’s hard to do when someone is surrounded by wolfs who are able to sniff out his every emotion. So they find it out pretty much at once, and have no problem with it.
- Carter tells Ox that when wolves thinks they found their mate, they give them a stone wolf, that’s been carved by their alpha/father. Joe did just that when he was just ten, Ox’s a bit freaked out by this.
- Joe courts Ox by bringing him a dead rabbit and many minimuffins. He also ask Ox’s mother, Maggie who is at this point aware of the whole werewolf thing, whether he can court Ox.
- Osmond, who was to be their connection to Maine, turns out to be a “double agent”, he’s secretly worked for Richard Collins(he was Thomas’s beta until he kidnapped Joe), who comes with omegas and the help of Robert Livingstone(Gordo’s father, whose mate weren’t his wife, messed with his wife head, which led to her murdering his mate, in return he blew up a whole building and was imprisoned since), kills Ox’s mother, has a fight with the Bennetts, in which Thomas dies and Joe becomes the alpha.
- Richard escapes.
- Everyone is in rage and mourning at the same time.
- Joe decides behind Ox’s back that he, Carter, Kelly and Gordo will hunt Collins down and leave the rest of their pack at home.
- Ox, of course, isn’t happy about it, they have a huge fight, but Joe won’t change his mind, he loves Ox too much to put him in danger. So they go away. Ox’s is heartbroken.
- They’re gone for three years, one month, 26 days.
- At home, Ox leads the pack and somehow becomes a human alpha.
- He tells Chris, Tanner and Rico about werewolves and witches.
- Robbie Fontaine comes as the connecter between the pack and the temporary Alpha of all in Maine, Michelle Hughes. He is received with suspicion, but he’ll slowly become one of their pack. He also has a crush on Ox, kisses him one time, but is kindly rejected.
- Elizabeth, mourning her husband stays in her wolf form for months, but Ox is able to convince her to shift back.
- During the second year(since Joe went away) omegas come, kidnapp Jessie and have a fight with the Bennetts, who are able to save her and kill all the omegas who didn’t flee.
- Jessie becomes one of their pack.
- For some time Joe sent texts to Ox but then he stopped so they lost all connection with them.
- David King(raised as a hunter by the King clan, but he escaped from them) appears with a message from Joe telling Ox “Not yet”.
- More omegas come, but are defeated once again.
- David King is found dead near Oregon.
- Joe and the others return. They changed. The ones who stayed changed. They try to figure out how to be one pack again.
- There’s lots of tension and division between them, but as time goes by they begin to loosen up, bit by bit.
- Robbie developes a fascination towards Kelly who doesn’t understand his behaviour.
- At last, Ox and Joe have the fight that’ve been waiting for them since Joe left, Ox forgives Joe and they have sex.
how did Wolfsong end?
Ox gets a phone call from Richard, who demands that he came alone outside the barriers protecting the town or he’ll kill a bunch of people who were unfortunate enough to leave the town and fell into Collins’s trap. Ox follows his instructions, goes to him to the wooden bridge just outside of the barriers. Richard as the alpha of the omegas starts a fight with Ox. The Bennetts find out where Ox is from the bonds between them and come. They have a fight. Osmond is killed by Gordo. Ox makes a bridge collapse onto Richard and he himself escapes by an inch. Joe just makes it to Ox when Richard jumps out from the ruins and rips Ox’s heart out and he becomes an Alpha for a second until Joe tears his head from his shoulders. Ox dies a bit but then awakes as a werewolf, because Joe has given him the bite, turning him. The humans were rescued, their memories altered. Joe and Ox finally mate.