Read a full summary of Ice Like Fire by Sara Raasch below. If you can’t remember what happened in Ice Like Fire and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in Ice Like Fire?
- Winter needs to be rebuilt an Meira is trying her hardest.
- Meira is struggling to connect with Theron properly because something definitely happened to him when he was being held captive by Angra, but he doesn’t want to talk about it.
- Meira is also avoiding Mather.
- So all in all, it’s a bit of a stiff start for all involved.
- Winter needs to pay Cordell and Autumn somehow. Noam tells his people to open up the mines in order to find the chasm of magic.
- The chasm is found but something seems to be wrong.
- Meira tries to investigate but is thrown back by a magical barrier. Meira hits her head and gets a vision of what happened to Theron in Abril. Meira decides that opening the chasm is a bad idea, but Theron insists it’s not because it’s their only way to protect Winter from Angra.
- Noam shows up at the chasm and the group discusses how to find the keys for the door. The door has symbols that seem to depict the three kingdoms. There’s also writing which talks about the Order of the Lustrate, which is something Meira has read about.
- Meira underpays Cordell and Autumn. Noam finds out and is very annoyed. He sends Meira off to find allies and to find the keys to the chasm.
- Mather bumps into the Children of the Thaw, who are enslaved.
- Theron suggests they try to sort out a treaty between al the nations but Meira is sceptical.
- Drunk, Mather finally talks to Meira and tells her he likes her. Meira doesn’t want to be with Mather because she needs to be strong or whatever. Mather leaves.
- Autumn signs onto Theron’s treaty.
- Winter is told they’re not allowed to have a military.
- Meira heads to Summer first and meets a princess called Ceridwen, who tells Meira a lot about Summer. Ceridwen is the sister to the king, Simeon, who is awful and selfish. Ceridwen says that Simeon plans to buy slaves from Winter.
- Meira attends a party and becomes threatened by some Summer folks. Meira makes it snow, which shouldn’t be happening while she’s in Summer.
- Ceridwen takes Meira to a cellar and they find the chasm key.
- A Ventrallan man is found murdered by Theron, who seems to be following Meira.
- King Simon tells the group that he’ll be travelling with them when they leave the kingdom.
- Meira handles the key and has another vision. She once again sees Theron in prison.
- Next up is Yakim, where the group meets Queen Giselle.
- Meira loses control of her winter magic.
- Meira and Ceridwen work together to find information on the Order. They find Yakim’s key in the library. The other clues they find lead them to Ventralli.
- Meira once again touches the key and has a vision. She sees Hannah and Duncan talking about the conduit.
- Mather’s mother Allison is killed by a Cordellan soldier. Cordell takes over Winter. Mather is sent to find Meira.
- In Ventralli, Meira meets King Jesse. He and Ceridwen are in love and are having some kind of affair. The queen of Ventralli knows all about it and wants to kill Ceridwe.
- King Jesse reveals that he wants to work with Winter to then overthrow his queen.
- Ceridwen goes missing so the group have to look for her. It turns out that Ceridwen is trying to kill her brother. Meira agrees to help.
- Queen Raelyn defends Simeon as Ceridwen and Meira attack. They’ve been working together. Until Raelyn kills Simeon, that is.
- Meira tries to kill Raelyn but is unsuccessful. She is about to be killed when Mather shows up and saves her.
- When the group heads to the palace, they find Noam there. Noam argues with Theron about his peace treaty. Theron kills Noam.
- Theron has the Winter soldiers locked up in the dungeons. He then allows Meira and Mather to break free, and he chains himself up. It seems that Angra’s magical decay is messing with his brain.
- Raris shows back up, having followed the group from Yakim. He’s part of the Order and has his own magic. Meira goes off with him to Paisley, where they are hoping to find the final key.
Royal conduit – An object that contains magic to aid the kingdoms.
- Autumn, a mix of Arabian and Thai
- Summer, African/Islander
- Winter, Greek-based
- Spring, American
- Cordell, Nordic/English
- Yakim, French or Germanic
- Ventralli, Italian (specifically Venetian)
- Paisly, Eastern European