Read a full summary of The Deal by Elle Kennedy below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Deal and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in The Deal?
- Hannah and Garrett are in the same Ethics class at Briar University. Their new teacher is a bit harsher than their previous one, and Garrett fails the midterm. Since Hannah passed, Garrett talks Hannah into tutoring him.
- Hannah agrees to tutoring Garrett since he’s super popular, and they think it might make her crush, Justin, notice her.
- Hannah doesn’t like parties by the way as when she was 15 she was drugged and raped at one. Her rapist was the child of the town’s mayor, and so Hannah and her parents became pariahs when they tried to press charges.
- Hannah and Garrett start going to parties together and they become closer. Turns out they get on quite well.
- Hannah is rehearsing for the winter show. She’s meant to be doing a duet with Cass, who is a nightmare to work with, for a song written by MJ. Cass keeps trying to change the plan, and eventually talks MJ into making changes that cause Hannah to drop out of the duet.
- Hannah tells Garrett about what happened to her, and Garrett tells her about his abusive father. His father was a star ice hockey player and he used to abuse Garrett’s mother, until she died of lung cancer. Then Garrett’s father started hitting him.
- Garrett’s father tells Garrett he expects him to come over for Thanksgiving. Garrett brings Hannah, since they’re officially together now, and they meet Phil’s girlfriend. He’s clearly abusing her too. Garrett leaves after an angry conversation with his father.
- One of the guys who testified in defence of Hannah’s rapist bumps into Hannah. Garrett beats him up and gets suspended for a game.
- Phil goes to Hannah’s place of work and tells her if she doesn’t break up with Garrett, then he’ll cut off Garrett’s funds. This will mean that Garrett has to drop out of the hockey team, or out of college entirely.
- Hannah breaks up with Garrett but doesn’t tell him why. She claims she wants to date other people.
- Hannah goes home for Christmas and is all mopey. She calls Garrett on New Year’s to wish him a happy birthday.
- When Hannah returns to university, she finds that Garrett has told everyone on campus that they shouldn’t date Hannah. This is a Dick Move, so Hannah goes to shout at him. Eventually she is forced to tell Garrett what happened and what his dad told her to do. Garrett tells her that he has the trust fund money from his grandparents now, and so he’s no longer relying on his dad for money.
- So now Garrett has loads of money, he and Hannah are back together, and the hockey team wins the tournament.