Read a full summary of Tokyo Ever After by Emiko Jean below. If you can’t remember what happened in Tokyo Ever After and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in Tokyo Ever After?
- Izumi and her friend Noora find a mysterious poem addressed to Izumi’s mother. They figure this is from Izumi’s father, who she has never known. Her mother said she fell pregnant after a one night stand and never saw the father again.
- Noora takes it upon herself to look into this and finds out that Izumi’s father is the Crown Prince of Japan. Making Izumi a princess.
- Izumi writes to her father. He doesn’t respond immediately, but pretty soon her and her mother’s house is swamped by the press and government officials. Izumi agrees to go to Japan and meet her father.
- They meet and he’s actually alright. Izumi notices he still has a thing for her mother because he’s growing orchids everywhere. Izumi’s mother is obsessed with orchids.
- Izumi gets a boadyguard called Akio who is grumpy but cute. The two of them start to fall for one another pretty quickly.
- Izumi’s cousin, Yoshi, takes her under his leg. I mean, wing. He takes her out for a night on the town and it goes a bit disastrously. Akio has to come and rescue Izumi.
- Izumi’s other cousins, the twins, are super rude and sabotage Izumi’s attempts at fitting in.
- Izumi’s grandparents, the emperor and empress, are super chill for royals though. The empress ponders about whether they should change the law to allow female heirs to rule. Something to consider.
- Word gets out about Izumi and Akio’s relationship. The two share a final dance and then the press goes wild. Izumi gets upset. She tries to reach Akio but is unable to. Yoshi delivers a letter from Izumi asking Akio to meet, but he doesn’t show up.
- Distraught, Izumi heads back to the US. She spends a few days moping about and then her father turns up for her graduation. He and Izumi’s mother reconnect. It’s cute.
- The Crown Prince convinces Izumi to return to Japan. She does so, and she is able to meet Akio again. Turns out Yoshi wasn’t a very nice cousin after all and never delivered the letter. In fact, he leaked info about the relationship to the press. For money.
- Izumi and Akio get back together.