Feyre is now a Fae and also engaged to Tamlin. She and Tamlin break up because Tamlin basically imprisons her. Feyre goes to stay with Rhysand for a bit. Turns out they’re mates. They’re told that they have to find this magical book to stop a magical guy from using a magical cauldron. They spend a while going back and forth between the magical realm and the human one. Feyre and Rhysand go on a date. The human queens betray Feyre and co., as they’re actually working with Jurian, the magical guy. So is Tamlin. Feyre goes back to the Spring Court with Tamlin at the end.
what went down
- Three months after ACOTAR, Tamlin and Feyre are now engaged. Feyre is having nightmares and Tamlin is keeping her housebound.
- A high priestess called Ianthe is planning the wedding for some reason.
- Feyre decides that she doesn’t want to marry Tamlin, and Rhysand appears and takes her with him to his Court.
- Rhysand tells Feyre to learn to both read and shield her mind so that she’s not bothering him all the time.
- Rhysand tells Feyre that there’s a war brewing that’ll destroy the barrier between the Fae world and the human one. Prythian is currently shielding the human world from the King of Hybern.
- Morrigan, Rhysand’s cousin, tells them that the priestess temple was attacked and all twelve of them were killed. Rhysand goes to meet with some Illyrian clans.
- Feyre returns to the Spring Court. She accidentally enters Lucien’s mind, which means she is a Daemati.
- Tamlin refuses to let Feyre practise using her magic. He locks her in the house. Rhysand and Morrigan rescue her.
- Rhysand takes Feyre to Velaris to meet his advisors.
- The Bone Carver tells them that Jurian, Amarantha’s old brother-in-law, is to be reborn, and that the King of Hybern is collecting stuff to destroy the barrier between the human and Fae worlds. He’ll need a magical cauldron and the Book of Breathings. This book has been split in two. One half is in the human realm, and the other half is with the High Lord of Summer.
- Feyre and the crew try to get in touch with the human queens.
- The Attor tries to kidnap Feyre for the King of Hybern.
- Feyre learns to fight.
- The crew is invited to the Summer Court, where they meet Tarquin and Cresseida.
- Feyre and Amren go to an island and steal half of the Book. Luckily, the Book is written in Amren’s native tongue. This could mean that Amren is able to find her people. Amren gets to work on translating the Book.
- The queens refuse to let the crew see the rest of the Book until Morrigan scares them with stories about the King. They give the crew the Book, but they want proof that Rhysand isn’t a total tit. I am also waiting for this proof.
- Rhysand wants to show Velaris to the queens. Apparently this is meant to show that he’s an alright guy. He’ll need to steal an orb from the Court of Nightmares. Azriel manages to get the orb. Morrigan’s father insults Feyre and Rhysand hurts him.
- The crew goes to a war camp. Feyre does some more training.
- It is revealed that Tamlin’s family killed Rhysand’s, so Rhysand’s father killed Tamlin’s family out of revenge.
- Lucien shows up and tries to convince Feyre to return to the Spring Court. Feyre is like “nah, Tamlin is a dick”.
- Rhysand and Feyre go on a “date”. They’re separated on their way back and Rhysand gets captured by people from Hybern. Feyre goes after him but she finds out that he has been poisoned. Feyre has to cure him by getting him to drink her blood. Apparently Rhysand is Feyre’s mate. Ew.
- Feyre and Rhysand complete the mating bond. Vom.
- The crew meets with the queens again. They don’t want the crew to have the Book. One queen sneakily gives it to them anyway.
- Amren finishes translating the Book.
- The army from Hybern destroy Velaris because the queens turned them in. Rhysand puts the defences back up.
- The crew goes to destroy the Magic Cauldron. Feyre fails to complete the spell (YOU HAD ONE JOB) and they’re all captured by Jurian.
how did it end?
It’s revealed that Tamlin has been working with Jurian and the queens to “save” Feyre from Rhysand. Feyre’s sisters have been captured and are turned into Fae. Ianthe told Jurian of the sisters’ location. She wanted to destroy the High Lords and bring the High Priestesses into power.
Feyre tricks Tamlin into thinking she wants to go back to the Spring Court. She gets Jurian to end the deal with Rhysand that made her visit him every month. Everyone escapes with the Book. Feyre goes back to the Spring Court with Tamlin and he thinks everything is grand, except Feyre is actually now the High Lady of the Night Court. Oop.