Read a full summary of Until I Die by Amy Plum below. If you can’t remember what happened in Until I Die and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
Charlotte and Charles leaves and two revenants, Violette and Arthur, arrive to take their place. Kate learns that Vincent is the Champion, but the revenants are not completely sure about this. Kate starts researching for ways that she and Vincent can be together while Vincent is off doing his own mysterious thing. Georgia and Violette meet and they do not get along. Arthur singles out Kate in front of other revenants as untrustworthy and she is forced to leave their meeting. Kate finds out about the guerisseur and visits their shop, trying to find information that will help out her and Vincent. Papy finds out about Vincent’s identity as a revenant when a numa comes to his gallery and attacks Kate, and forbids Kate to see him. Vincent reveals to Kate that there is a traitor among the numa and Kate thinks that the traitor is Arthur. Kate and Georgia follows Arthur, only to find out the real traitor is Violette. There’s a battle, Violette reveals her plans, Vincent dies and the numa take his body. Everybody has lost hope for Vincent and Kate realizes that Vincent might be truly dead. HUGE CLIFFHANGER.
What happened in Until I Die
- Kate trains with Vincent.
- Jeanne and Kate talks about Charles’ situation from the first book.
- At Charlotte and Charles’ farewell party, Jules flirts with Kate, Kate dances with Jules, and Jules tells Kate that Vincent is the Champion. Jean-Baptiste reveals that the numa probably already has a new leader. He also introduces Violette and Arthur as Charlotte and Charles’ replacement.
- Violette and Charlotte meet and talk.
- Vincent and Ambrose brings Kate home, worried about the numa. They tell Kate that she needs a bodyguard when they’re not around since they don’t know when the numa would attack.
- Charlotte and Charles leaves. Kate learned that Genevieve’s human husband Philippe had died and she thinks that that could be her and Vincent one day. Kate sees someone very strange at Philippe’s funeral and wanders off, but before she can see who it was, Vincent finds her and lectures her about the dangers of wandering off alone.
- Vincent takes Kate out on a picnic in January and Kate questions him about being the Champion. They spot a truck weaving dangerously with no driver inside and Vincent manages to take control of the truck, saving several people’s lives.
- Kate thinks about pulling off her agreement with Vincent because other people could have died because of the agreement they made in the first book: Vincent would try not to die.
- Kate looks into Papy’s books and finds a book on undead beings.
- Georgia meets Violette and Arthur. Georgia has a small, but amusing fight with Violette, resulting in Violette storming out of the cafe. Kate apologizes to Violette for her sister’s behavior.
- At a meeting in Jean-Baptiste’s house about the numa, Arthur takes the stage and asks everyone why Kate is allowed to listen to their plans when she isn’t a revenant. Jean-Baptiste asks Kate to kindly leave the meeting. Kate talks to Jeanne and goes home in anger.
- Vincent visits Kate at her house and she learns that Vincent and Violette used to date, although he wasn’t really interested in Violette. However, Vincent tells Kate that Violette seems to warm up to her. Kate shows Vincent the book she found on revenants.
- Violette gives Kate a book of the language of flowers and they both hang out to see a movie.
- Kate and Vincent goes on a date. Vincent tells Kate that he’s trying an experiment and that she should keep in touch with her old friends from New York again. Kate writes an email to them telling them that she loves them and to please wait for her.
- Vincent becomes too busy with his project to spend time with Kate. Kate learns more information about the Champion from Violette.
- Kate asks Papy if she can work at his gallery so she can secretly find more information on the revenants. Vincent comes to visit her in the gallery.
- Kate learns that Charles is missing, trying to sort things out by himself. Kate sneaks into Jean-Baptiste’s library to try to find out more information on the revenants. Violette catches Kate digging through the library, causing Kate to bring the book she was looking through home.
- Kate and Vincent talk about having sex.
- Georgia invites the revenants over to a club to listen to her boyfriend’s band. Kate lies to Violette about the book she borrowed from Jean-Baptiste’s library. Two numa appear and they fight. Of course, the revenants won the fight, but Arthur is injured.
- Kate learns about energy transfer from Vincent.
- Vincent brings Kate to watch a revenant wedding.
- Jules is Kate’s bodyguard for the day and his studio is attacked by a numa.
- Jules is Kate’s bodyguard again and she tricks him to drive her to a shop she was looking for. There, she meets people called guerisseurs for information about the revenants. They tell her to come back in a week. Jules find out about this and tells Kate that she should tell Vincent about the meeting herself.
- Kate heads to Jean-Baptiste’s library to return the book she borrowed when she meets Arthur, who apologizes for his actions earlier in the book. Kate basically lectured him and gave him the finger.
- Kate and Vincent visits Charlotte and Genevieve. Kate realizes her friendship with Violette takes a lot of effort while her friendship with Charlotte was like the most natural thing in the world.
- Kate tells Vincent about her trip to the guerisseur. Vincent, in turn, tells her what he’s been up to: killing lots of numa because it’ll alleviate his desire to die. Kate and Vincent’s trip to Charlotte and Genevieve’s house is over.
- Papy tells Kate that his gallery was robbed last night. Kate gets a phone call from the guerisseur’s son, telling her that the numa came for them, but they both hid. His mother then fled. Kate learns more about the Champion and what the numa can do to the Champion.
- Two numa visit Kate in Papy’s gallery, demanding to know what the guerisseur told her. Papy and Vincent happen to come upon the scene and the numas leave. Vincent reveals that he’s a revenant and those two men were the numa to Papy. Papy angrily forces Vincent to leave. Papy then forbids Kate to never see Vincent again.
- Kate and Vincent talk on the phone. They both realize that there is a revenant traitor among their group. Kate suspects Arthur.
- Kate tells Georgia everything and they both follow Arthur around. They both see Arthur meeting up with numa and Violette there too. Kate realizes that it was Violette who had betrayed them all along. They start fighting, Arthur taking Kate’s side, when Vincent appears. Violette holds Georgia as hostage and reveals that her numa followers killed the guerisseur after the guerisseur verified that Vincent was the Champion. Arthur saves Georgia, but Vincent fell off the rail due to an attack by the numa. Kate witnesses the numa taking Vincent’s dead body away and Violette disappears before Kate could do anything.
- Jean-Baptiste apologizes to Kate for the incident, letting Kate know that there was basically no hope on getting Vincent back.
- A numa gives Kate white lilies, the symbol for funerals, and says that Violette wants Kate to suffer because she hates humans. Kate has a feeling that Violette has destroyed Vincent when suddenly, she hears a voice in her head, calling her Mon ange. HUGE CLIFFHANGER.
How did it end?
Violette sends Kate a numa named Nicolas to give her white lilies, the symbol for funerals. He tells her that Violette ordered him not to kill Kate because Violette wanted Kate to suffer. Kate sits alone at the guardrail and has a feeling that Violette has done it – she had finally destroyed Vincent. Kate remembers some events she spent with Vincent, and hears a voice in her head, calling her Mon ange. HUGE CLIFFHANGER.
Revenants: People who died saving someone and keep doing it after death. Each time a revenant dies, they reanimate at the same age that they had died the very first time. Revenants are not human, but immortal.
Dormant: When a revenant’s body is hibernating, but their mind is still active. (This is when a revenant looks and feels like they’re dead.)
Patrol: When revenants travel in threes.
Volant: When a revenant’s mind leaves their minds, they have a sixth-sense where they can sense when something is going to happen that the others can use to save someone.
Numa: Revenants, but in reverse. Their jobs isn’t to save lives, but to destroy them. They never die because they keep killing.
Champion: The person who takes over Jean-Baptiste’s place when Jean-Baptiste dies. The Champion also possess preternatural powers of endurance, persuasion, strength, and communication. The Champion’s power can also be transmitted by force. The guerisseur will identify the Champion.
Guerisseur: A person who have special abilities regarding revenants.