Read a full summary of Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout below. If you can’t remember what happened in Opal and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
Everyone (Luxen & Katy) is trying to adjust to Dawson being “back from the dead”. He is determined to get Beth back and without much choice, they agree to help. Blake returns convincing them that they need his help to get Beth back because he wants Chris back just as badly. They agree and set out on a mission to save them from the facility at Mount Weather. Lots of crap goes down and Katy gets captured by the Arum!
What happened in Opal?
- Everyone is dealing with Dawson’s return. He is distant and unlike himself, but decides to return to school. Rumors fly about what happened to him and Beth.
- Dee, Ash & Andrew are mourning Adam. They blame Katy and are mad at Daemon for letting Blake go. Daemon makes it clear he is on Katy’s side no matter what.
- Katy struggles with whether or not to tell her mom the truth. She hates that Will used her with the ulterior motive of getting close to the Luxen in hopes of being healed.
- Dawson snaps and tries to go after Beth, but Daemon stops him. Blake returns to school and convinces them that they need him to rescue Beth because he knows where she is and has a contact that knows the in and outs of the security system. His real motive is that he needs to rescue Chris (his alien half). Katy and Daemon agree. Dee, Ash, and Andrew are PISSED!
- Blake takes Katy and Daemon to a club to meet Luc, his contact, who also turns out to be a CHILD. Of course Katy dresses like a ho to fit in at club, which turns everyone on. She and Daemon get their freak on out on the dance floor.
- They plan out their mission to bust Beth and Chris out of the facility at Mount Weather. When they aren’t training, Daemon and Katy make out… a lot.
- Carissa hasn’t been in school– word on the street is that she has the bird flu. (Uh oh!!)
- An elder Luxen shows up at the Black residence and gets on Daemon’s case about dating a human. He reminds him of the consequences for such behavior.
- Katy has jealousy issues—- not a fan of Ash as Daemon’s ex-girlfriend. Meanwhile, the DOD snoops around.
- All goes as planned at Mount Weather until they reach the elevator. Katy and Dawson step in and get burned by airborne onyx! Blake and Daemon carry them to the river to wash it off. Mission is a failure.
- Blake is immune to onyx due to his training with the Daedalus. They discover it is possible to build a tolerance of it with enough exposure– so that is exactly what they do over the next several weeks.
- Carissa randomly shows up in Katy’s bedroom. Turns out she is a mutated hybrid. She is wearing a bracelet with the same stone that Luc was wearing (opal). They fight. Katy kills her. Carissa dissolves. The Daedalus have been taking humans and forcing the Luxen to heal them as experiments.
- Daemon and Katy go back to see Luc. They learn more about opal and the fact that it can react light, making aliens more powerful as it enhances their abilities. Opal can also counteract onyx. BUT… it is impossible to find. Blake tells Katy he knows they went to see Luc and that he also knows about opal.
- Daemon gets Katy a laptop for her birthday. It is nice out so she searches for her flip flops… but oh snap!– she finds Carissa’s opal under her bed!
- Will is declared missing. Prom is coming up. Though Dee has been cold to Katy she invites her to go dress shopping with her and Ash. After shopping, Katy comes home to find Will in her kitchen. She kills him, but not before he shoots her! This means Daemon is in trouble too since they are connected.
- Daemon is weak, but refuses to let Dee heal Katy. He heals her and of course they have sex when she wakes up and feels better. They go to prom a few days later. Daemon look damn sexy in a tux!
- Attempt #2 at Mount Weather. They decide Katy will wear the opal. They make it in, get through the elevators just fine and then find Beth. Blake finds Chris. On the way out they run into Simon, who had been missing. He is a hybrid. Daemon kills him, but during the chaos Blake takes Katy’s opal necklace.
- They realize fast that Blake set them up. Suddenly an army of Arum appear and let Blake leave. They fight, but soon the lasers turn on. Katy is trapped…. Daemon finally tells her he loves her….. the door shuts and she is left with the Arum. %$#@%#@$% !!!!!!!
How did it end?
“It’ll be okay,” I whispered as tears filled my eyes. The doors were coming out of the ceiling and the floor. “It’ll be all right.” Daemon’s green eyes held a glassy sheen. His arm reached out, fingers splayed. They never reached the laser or the door. “I love you, Katy. Always have. Always will,” he said, voice thick and hoarse with panic. “I will come back for you. I will–”
The emergency doors sealed shut with a soft thud. “I love you,” I said, but Daemon… Daemon was gone.
Luxen: An alien being of light that has all sorts of powers.
Arum: Enemies of the Luxen who want to steal their powers.
Obsidian: Volcanic glass that is deadly to Arum.
Onyx: Incapacitates Luxen and human mutants. They can’t even touch it.
Opal: A powerful stone that enhances the abilities of Luxen by refracting light. It also counteracts onyx.
Beta quartz: Throws off the Luxen energy signature, hiding their location from enemies. There is beta quartz in the mountains near the town.
Trace: What is left on humans when they get close to Luxen while using their powers. Luxen and Arum can see it the glow, but it’s invisible to humans.
Daedalus: 1. A division of the DOD. 2. A serum of human and alien DNA that helps humans survive their mutations.