Read a full summary of Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout below. If you can’t remember what happened in Origin and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in Origin?
- Katy wakes up in Area 51 in the Daedalus facility, having been captured. She is told she will need to cooperate with them or they will hit her with onyx. Initially Katy refuses but they do indeed hit her with onyx until she complies.
- Daemon is stuck in the Luxen village. He needs to go and find Katy, so he sets off to Mount Weather to get himself captured.
- Luc asks Daemon to find him a sample of the LH-11 vaccine. In return, he will help Daemon and Katy escape once they’re reunited.
- Dr Roth tells Katy that Daedalus is working on great things by researching the hybrids and the Luxen. Daedalus have created a compound which will help cure cancer.
- Dr Roth tells Katy there are evil Luxen out there. He says the Luxen destroyed their own planet and plan to destroy Earth too. He says Daemon and Dee are plotting things.
- Dasher tells Katy there are currently 45,000 Luxen on Earth.
- Katy refuses to fight any other hybrids for Daedalus’ experiments. They send in Blake, who annoys Katy so much that she does fight him. She kills him by accident.
- Nancy agrees to let Daemon see Katy if he cooperates with them. They fly to Area 51. Daemon and Katy reunite.
- Katy cuts her hand so Daemon will demonstrate his healing powers to Daedalus.
- Daedalus take Katy away and strap her to a table. They start cutting into her back. They bring Daemon in to heal her.
- Katy and Daemon hear the other prisoners and the guards freaking out. There’s someone inside the building and they’re all scared.
- Katy and Daemon spot a little boy, who has slashed his way through the guards. He turns their weapons to ash. Eventually the soldiers capture him again.
- Katy and Daemon learn that the child is an Origin – a Luxen x Hybrid child that has been bred and raised by Daedalus. Daedalus is breeding them to create a powerful army, which they are obviously struggling to control.
- Daedalus make Daemon heal a wounded soldier who stabbed himself for the experiment.
- Katy steals a vial of LH-11 while everyone is distracted.
- Katy and Daemon plot to release the Origins so they can escape during the distraction.
- They jump in the elevator with Asher, a Daedalus guard who is quite friendly. Asher tells them their plan won’t work but he offers to help them as he’s also an Origin and wants to escape.
- Asher reveals he is Luc’s contact.
- The trio release the Origins and they’re able to escape. Daemon and Katy head to a motel, where they’re met by Luc and Paris. They’re then taken to a secluded house where they’re reunited with their friends and family.
- Matthew tells Katy and Daemon that the family have been staying at this house because Matthew knows the owner. They had been trying to figure out how to get Daemon and Katy out of the facility, but they weren’t doing too well with the planning.
- Katy and Daemon decide to get married in Las Vegas.
- Then Matthew calls Nancy to turn Daemon and Katy in. Luc realises what has happened and attacks Matthew. Matthew tells them he did it to protect them all, as Nancy promised the rest of them could live freely in return for Daemon and Katy.
- Dawson kills Matthew and the group tries to escape Vegas.
- They’re intercepted by Daedalus as they’re stopping traffic at a checkpoint.
- The group decides to reveal themselves in order to cause a scene and give Daemon and Katy a chance to escape.
- Obviously Las Vegas is in the middle of a desert so there aren’t many ways for Daemon and Katy to hide.
- Ash, Andrew, and Paris are killed by the military and Arum. Everyone else escapes and hides in Luc’s cabin in Idaho.
- Beth reveals that she is pregnant.
- Katy wakes up and sees Daemon glowing in his true form. Dawson and Dee come into the bedroom and tell them they’ve been glowing too. They look out the window and see lots of glowing in the woods, so they head outside.
- Hundreds of Luxen are glowing and approaching the cabin. Daemon, Dawson, and Dee turn into their true form and head towards the others. Katy, Luc, and Beth try to stop them but they don’t seem to hear them.
Luxen: An alien being of light that has all sorts of powers.
Arum: Enemies of the Luxen who want to steal their powers.
Obsidian: Volcanic glass that is deadly to Arum.
Onyx: Incapacitates Luxen and human mutants. They can’t even touch it.
Opal: A powerful stone that enhances the abilities of Luxen by refracting light. It also counteracts onyx.
Beta quartz: Throws off the Luxen energy signature, hiding their location from enemies. There is beta quartz in the mountains near the town.
Trace: What is left on humans when they get close to Luxen while using their powers. Luxen and Arum can see it the glow, but it’s invisible to humans.
Daedalus: 1. A division of the DOD. 2. A serum of human and alien DNA that helps humans survive their mutations.