Read a full summary of Onyx by Jennifer L Armentrout below. If you can’t remember what happened in Onyx and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in Onyx?
- Katy is suffering from some major alien symptoms, and it’s revealed that the Luxen aren’t supposed to heal humans. Daemon thinks that it might be because healing them changes them. Into alien-type beings. Which, if you’ve been following, means that Katy is turning into a half-alien.
- Daemon makes a bet that Katy will tell him she loves him by New Year’s Day. Teehee.
- Blake joins the school. He and Katy bond because he used to blog about surfing and there’s a ~connection there.
- Dee and Adam are to be mated, so they decide to try out serious dating.
- Katy loses control of her alien powers in front of Simon, the dude who molested her in Obsidian, and then he goes missing shortly afterwards.
- The DOD arrive in town and question Daemon and Katy. Apparently nobody realised that Blake and the DOD arrived around the same time. I am just saying, I would have noticed this non-coincidence.
- Blake displays some abilities of his own by killing an Arum like a freakin’ ninja. It turns out that he’s mutated like Katy is. They were both healed by Luxen and have alien powers now.
- Blake starts training Katy to help her control her abilities. He ends up throwing a knife at her face without warning, causing Daemon to get just a tad mad at him. This makes Katy and Daemon fall out for a bit, since Katy wants to continue training and Daemon doesn’t think she should.
- Katy sees Bethany, Dawson’s supposedly dead human girlfriend, with Brian Vaughn, who is a member of the DOD. WHAT. Katy, Daemon, and Matthew Garrison come to the conclusion that if Bethany’s alive then Dawson must be too, since he had to have healed her. Meaning she also has alien powers like Katy and Blake.
- It turns out that the DOD have known about the Luxen powers from the beginning, despite the Luxen’s best efforts to keep it a secret. Katy and Daemon go and investigate a DOD building, which doesn’t end particularly well because Daemon has to impersonate Brian Vaughn in order to save Katy from other DOD officers.
- Katy does some investigating on her own because she thinks she’s Sherlock. She enters a DOD house and comes across Bethany, who goes a bit crazy when Katy mentions saving Dawson from the DOD.
- To nobody’s surprise but Katy’s, Blake is working for the DOD and Brian Vaughn is his uncle. Blake was trying to get Katy to join the DOD. Dee and Adam show up to take Katy to a party, but they realise something is wrong when Katy doesn’t open the door. They run in to help, and Blake ends up killing Adam.
- Vaughn arrives at the house, and there’s an epic showdown when Daemon turns up shortly afterwards. Vaughn shoots at Daemon, but Daemon turns the bullets around and they hit Vaughn in the chest, killing him. Blake begs for his life and Katy and Daemon let him go.
- Will, Katy’s mother’s boyfriend, picks Katy up from school and tells her that her mother has been in an accident. Unfortunately it turns out that Will is also working for the DOD (TRUST. NO ONE.) and so it turns into a kidnapping.
- Katy is put in a cage and chained up with shackles made of onyx. Will is the one who told the DOD about Bethany and Dawson. He’s Bethany’s uncle, and he turned her in because he was sick. He has kidnapped Katy because he wants Daemon to mutate him.
How did it end?
Any weird terminology?
Luxen: An alien being of light that has all sorts of powers.
Arum: Enemies of the Luxen who want to steal their powers.
Obsidian: Volcanic glass that is deadly to Arum.
Onyx: Incapacitates Luxen and human mutants. They can’t even touch it.
Beta quartz: Throws off the Luxen energy signature, hiding their location from enemies. There is beta quartz in the mountains near the town.
Trace: What is left on humans when they get close to Luxen while using their powers. Luxen and Arum can see it the glow, but it’s invisible to humans.
Daedalus: 1. A division of the DOD. 2. A serum of human and alien DNA that helps humans survive their mutations.