Read a full summary of The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Lies of Locke Lamora and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
what happened in The Lies of Locke Lamora?
- The book is told in both flashbacks and present day stuff. It starts with Locke as a child joining a band of petty thieves, and eventually he is recruited by an awesome thief person called Chains who pretends to be a blind priest in order for people to give him money. He joins Chains’ group which consists of Jean (Locke’s true love, imo), Sabetha (who doesn’t actually appear in the book), and the twins Calo and Galdo.
- Chains dies off-“screen” and Locke now runs the gang in present day. They have a sweet little apprentice called Bug and Sabetha is still nowhere to be seen. Their group is called the Gentleman Bastards.
- The Gentleman Bastards are pretty freakin’ rich because they con everyone. At the start of the book they’re about to start a con on Don Salvara. Locke pretends to be someone called Lukas and makes up a story about booze to get Salvara to give him money. Locke then pretends to be a Midnighter and “warns” Salvara about Lukas being the Thorn of Camorr, but he tells Salvara that he should still give Lukas money.
- Meanwhile, the Gray King has been killing Capa Barsavi’s (head of the criminal underground who takes a cut from everyone) men.
- The Gray King runs into Locke. He has brought a Bondsmage called The Falconer with him and they scare Locke because the Bondsmage is freakin’ creepy like his bird. So The Gray King wants Locke to pretend to be him at a meeting with Capa Barsavi for reasons that he doesn’t feel like revealing right now. Locke agrees in return for The Gray King’s silence about the con business.
- The Gray King murders Barsavi’s daughter, Nazca, and returns the body to the Capa. This is upsetting because Locke had just gotten engaged to her and she was pretty awesome.
- Locke goes through with the meeting but it goes horribly wrong when Barsavi somehow manages to get through Locke’s supposed protection, knock him out and put him in a barrel. They then throw him in the canal, because they still think he’s The Gray King, and Jean and co. have to come and rescue him. Clearly, The Gray King betrayed Locke and didn’t even provide protection in the first place. RUDE.
- Jean, Bug, and Locke return to their base to find all of their wealth stolen and the Sanza twins dead, in the creepiest scene in all of history. Some guy turns up and kills Bug, and threatens Jean and Locke but they’re like nah mate.
- Locke goes to The Floating Grave where Barsavi is celebrating the “death” of the Gray King. Obviously, the Gray King is not dead and his minions actually sabotage the party. The awesome gladiator sisters from the beginning kill Barsavi and his sons. The Gray King shows up and is like “I’m gonna run this town tonight”.
- Turns out that the Gray King is the brother of the gladiator sisters. What.
- Some background on Capa Raza/The Gray King: he and his sisters had been planning revenge on Barsavi since they were younger because their parents were murdered thanks to the nobles of Camorr. Now he’s back to kill them all.
- Jean figures out that the Gray King (or Capa Raza, if you will) has been loading his wealth that he stole onto a plague ship. The gladiator sisters find Jean and fight him, but he kills them both because he’s made of awesome. He gets wounded though, which sucks.
- Dona Vorchenza, the Duke’s Spider, is now accidentally in league with Capa Raza because The Falconer did some voodoo on her. She lures Locke into a trap but he escapes because he’s a ninja.
- Locke goes back to his and Jean’s hideout, and discovers that The Falconer has done voodoo on Jean now since he knows his real name. The Falconer tries to make Jean kill Locke, and then tries to voodoo Locke himself but Locke is like “lawl, as if Locke is my true name” and he ends up torturing The Falconer for information on the Gray King. He doesn’t kill the guy, but he does remove his tongue and fingers.