April 8, 2020
Read a full summary of Diamond City by Francesca Flores below. If you can’t remember what happened in Diamond City and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in Diamond City?
- Prologue: Child!Aina goes into a house and Kohl saves her from an explosion.
- Present day: Aina kills a baker who once beat her for stealing from a customer. She was sent by her boss, the Blood King, because the baker sold his information to a rival gang called the Red Jackals.
- Aina goes to a diamond mine and gets some diamonds from a guy there. She sells them illegally later on.
- Aina is attacked on her way back to the Dom by the Jackals. She fights them off and returns home.
- Aina speaks to her boss, Kohl, about the baker. He gives her 400 coins and a new mission. She is to kill Kouta by the end of the week for 50k coins.
- Aina speaks to Teo and asks for his help. He agrees. She is threatened in a bar by an owner of a casino, but she kills him.
- Tannis, one of Aina’s fellow assassins, tells Aina that Kohl will never set her free.
- On their way to scout out Kouta, Aina and Teo spot some guards and General Bautix kill some diamond smugglers/Isonen worshippers.
- Aina and Teo scout out their mark and get some fake IDs that’ll let them infiltrate the estate.
- Aina spots Kohl killing one of his men for being a drunken rat. He seems to have ratted Kohl out to someone.
- Aina and Teo go to Kouta’s estate. Their plan doesn’t go to… well, plan. They have to kill a bunch of guards to get to Kouta. Aina manages to kill Kouta in the library while his brother, Ryuu, watches.
- Aina returns to the Dom and gets her reward from Kohl. As she is walking around the city, she spots some wanted posters with her face on them. She also overhears people saying that Kouta is still alive, which should be impossible.
- Aina runs back to the Dom to explain to Kohl, who hits her and tells her that she failed. She won’t get another chance. He revokes his protection of her.
- Aina runs to Teo to explain what’s been going on. On the way, she discovers that her bank account has been wiped clean.
- Aina enters Kouta’s estate again and confronts his brother, Ryuu. Ryuu tells her that he had a servant perform blood magic on his brother to save his life, and he’s now in a safehouse.
- Ryuu asks Aina for her help finding his brother before other assassins do. He offers to pay her a lot of money. Aina agrees.
- Teo, Aina, and Ryuu go to an underground bar that is run by Raurie. Raurie’s aunt has magic, and can help them locate Kouta. Raurie agrees to ask her aunt for him.
- Raurie’s aunt performs a spell to show Aina where Kouta is using some of his blood. Aina’s vision shows that Kouta is somewhere dark, and Ryuu figures out that he must be underground in the sewers as it’s dark during the day.
- The gang head to the sewers just as the Diamond Guard head to Raurie’s aunt’s house. Luckily, Raurie’s aunt and uncle manage to get away into an Inosen safe house.
- The gang head to Teo’s house but they’re followed. Teo’s mother is killed in the struggle, and Teo is captured. Ryuu and Aina manage to get away.
- Ryuu offers to help Aina get Teo out of prison. The two of them infiltrate the prison and save their friend. Teo is angry with Aina at first about his mother’s death, but he soon forgives her.
- The gang reach the tunnels where Kouta is hiding. There’s a struggle when Ryuu stops Aina from killing Kouta (this has been her plan all along – to regain her honour and Kohl’s favour). Aina finds Kouta’s body – he’s already dead. Someone else must have got there first – probably Tannis.
- Aina wakes up having passed out from her injuries. Everyone forgives her, which is nice.
- They found a note in Kouta’s pocket that contained information on arms sales. It turns out that General Bautix has been selling arms, and Kohl has been working with him.
- They’re all worried about the princess’s visit, as it looks as though she’s going to be targeted by Kohl’s crew.
- It’s revealed that Kohl killed Aina’s family and he took her in out of pity for her. It was really just prolonged manipulation.
- The gang plans to intercept and save the princess.
- Aina is swarmed by Kohl’s crew, but Tannis saves her.
- Tannis reveals to Aina that she has been moving to work against Kohl all along. This is the true ship lbr.
- Aina and Tannis try to take Kohl down. Tannis is severely injured. Aina manages to fight Kohl off, but she has to leave him in order to hurry to stop the assassin who’s going to kill the princess.
- The plot is revealed, and the princess is saved. Aina is given a tonne of money and she takes over the Dom with Tannis. Kohl and Bautix go into hiding. Kohl leaves Aina a threatening note, which will probably become relevant in book two.