Here is a spoiler summary of what happened in Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab to help refresh your memory before you read the sequel. If you need a recap of Tunnel of Bones, then you’re in the right place!
what happened in Tunnel of Bones?
- Cassidy and her parents are now in Paris, where her parents are working on their second episode of The Inspectors. Of course, Cassidy’s ghostly best friend Jacob has had to come along too.
- Cassidy’s parents are basing the second episode on the ghosts in the Catacombs, the Eiffel Tower, and various other sights in Paris.
- The group heads to the Tuileries, which is supposed to be haunted. Cassidy’s parents ask her to take some behind the scenes photos.
- While there, Cassidy feels the Veil. She tells her parents she’s heading to the bathroom, but really she’s about to hunt a ghost. The ghost attacks her and tries to take her life thread, but Cassidy is able to fight him off and send him on.
- Jacob high fives Cassidy and she’s able to just about feel his hand.
- The group heads down to the Catacombs the following day. Their guide, Pauline, shows them around and Cassidy’s dad explains the history of the Catacombs. It’s super creepy, and Cassidy can feel the Veil the whole way around.
- Cassidy trips over something and falls through the Veil. Jacob follows her because he’s a good friend. they cross back after hearing a young child’s voice counting in French.
- At lunch, Cassidy feels a chill and then the metal awning above the lunch table almost falls onto her.
- Cassidy feels like she’s being watched for the rest of the day.
- The group heads back to the hotel room and their cat, Grim, is missing. Cassidy’s mum blames her. Cassidy finds Grim in the salon and he seems really scared.
- Cassidy calls Lara up because Lara knows her stuff. Lara thinks this weirdness has to do with a poltergeist, and it may have followed her from the Catacombs.
- Cassidy has a dream about Jacob becoming a poltergeist.
- At the Pere Lachaise cemetery, Cassidy feels the poltergeist again. She and Jacob cross over into the Veil and they once again hear the counting in French. Cassidy lures the poltergeist out and it turns out to be a red eyed boy.
- Cassidy tries to capture the poltergeist but it doesn’t work. Cassidy is pushed off the top of the crypt.
- Cassidy calls Lara up again for advice, and Lara promises to talk to her ghost uncle.
- Cassidy and her parents head to the Paris Opera House. Lara phones back and tells Cassidy it’s possible that the poltergeist has forgotten his old life and that’s why he’s playing up. The mirror won’t work like it does normally because the poltergeist can’t remember himself.
- Cassidy has to research to find out who the poltergeist used to be. She heads into the Veil to look for him but she’s unsuccessful.
- Cassidy returns to the human realm and is almost killed by a giant mirror. Jacob saves her, but he looks into the mirror. He’s almost trapped but he breaks free.
- Cassidy chases after the poltergeist, who leads her to the Catacombs. Cassidy has to head back though because her parents will be waiting for her.
- They all head back to the hotel, where they discover a sprinkler went off in their room so it’s soaked.
- Cassidy’s dad tells her the story of a boy called Thomas who disappeared in the Catacombs in 1912 while he was playing hide and seek. That would explain the counting.
- Lara advises Cassidy to use sage and salt to protect the hotel.
- Lara finds out some info on Thomas’s living relatives. Cassidy asks Pauline to take her to see them. On the way, the train stops, and Cassidy can hear Thomas counting down the tunnel.
- Cassidy asks Sylvaine about Thomas, but Sylvaine refuses to speak about it. Sylvaine’s daughter follows Cassidy and co. as they leave though. She introduces herself as Adele and gives Cassidy some photos of Thomas.
- Cassidy is almost hit by a car.
- Jacob tells Cassidy he’s worried about turning into a poltergeist too.
- They all head back to the hotel room. Adele tells the others that Thomas was playing in the Catacombs and he hid too well. The police had to search for him and they found his body under a collapsed alcove.
- Cassidy’s family head back to the Catacombs to reshoot some scenes for the show. Cassidy and Jacob head through the Veil and play hide and seek to lure Thomas in.
- Cassidy tries to show Thomas some old photos but he won’t look. He raises a bunch of ghosts.
- Jacob pretends to be Thomas’s brother. Cassidy gets trapped behind some fallen rocks. Jacob helps Thomas remember who he is and Cassidy is able to send him on.
- Cassidy and her parents go to the Louvre. Jacob tells Cassidy who he is and how he died. He reveals he drowned in the river that Cassidy fell into. He was trying to get his brother’s toy but was killed.
- At the metro station, Cassidy spots a man wearing a skeleton mask. He’s some sort of ghost. He takes off his mask and there’s nothing under there. Cassidy passes out, and when she wakes up he is gone and she and her family head to the States.
Buy the Series
Interested in buying a copy of Tunnel of Bones or the rest of the series? Use our affiliate links below to help support the site!