Here is a spoiler summary of what happened in City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab to help refresh your memory before you read the sequel.
what happened in City of Ghosts?
- Cassidy’s parents break the news that their books have landed them a TV deal. The books aren’t being adapted, but Cassidy’s parents have been asked to travel to the world’s most haunted cities to find paranormal activity. Obviously, since she’s a child, Cassidy has to go with them.
- Cassidy is less than pleased with this because it means her beach plans are all messed up.
- Jacob, Cassidy’s ghostly best friend, joins the family on their trip. Cassidy met Jacob when he saved her from drowning after falling from a bridge.
- The family’s first stop is Edinburgh. (Which, by the way, is my favourite city ever and this book was SO atmospheric and made me want to go back immediately.)
- Cassidy can step through the veil into the In Between. She’s been able to do so ever since her near death experience. Jacob hasn’t told Cass much about the In Between, but he did mention that he can’t look at himself in a mirror or he’ll be dead dead.
- On their first day, Cass and her mum go sight seeing. Cass enters the In Between when the pair reach Greyfriars Kirkyard (the resting place of Tom Riddle). Cass first meets the Raven in Red here, who entrances children when she sings. Jacob rescues Cass from her.
- Supposedly the Raven’s son disappeared one winter and the Raven went looking for him. When she couldn’t find him, she instead kidnapped other children.
- Cass is dragged into the In Between during a tour of the Real Mary King’s Close (a really great tour, btw). She flashes her camera in order to escape.
- Cass meets Lara, who can also step into the In Between. Cass and Jacob follow her through the veil. They see Lara use a mirror to make a ghost freeze so she can pull a thread from his chest. The ghost then disintegrates.
- Jacob decides he doesn’t like Lara. Lara tells Cass that she’s a ghost hunter who is supposed to help ghosts move on from the human world.
- Jacob is unlike other ghosts, since he’s not trapped in the In Between.
- Lara explains that she uses mirrors to show the ghosts what they really are. Cass gets rid of her first ghost.
- Lara warns Cass about the Raven in Red, who steals threads of life from children.
- Cass and Jacob head to Edinburgh castle.
- Jacob is pulled into the In Between and trapped by the Raven in Red’s ghostly children. The Raven lures Cass in and then steals her thread of life. Without it, Cass can’t get back into the human world.
- The Raven uses Cass’s thread to exit the veil and enter the human world.
- Lara tells Cass that the Raven plans on digging up her corpse and using Cass’s thread to bring it back to life.
- Cass and Jacob head back to Greyfriars. They fight off a tonne of dead children, although these guys can’t be sent on because they have no threads.
- The Raven makes two human teenagers dif up her grave.
- Jacob distracts everyone so Cass can hide in the Raven’s coffin (ew). When the Raven tries to put the thread into the corpse, Cass grabs it.
- Lara arrives with Findley, and they hold the Raven back. At least, they try, until she steps into the In Between. The Raven makes the ghost children attack everyone.
- Cass uses her broken camera lens as a mirror and holds it up to the Raven. Cass tugs the Raven’s thread (which is thick and ropey after stealing from children) and gets rid of her and her ghost children.
- Cass puts her thread back in and she wakes up in the human world.
- Cass takes her broken camera to Bellamy’s Photo Store, and the girl working there gives her a defected lens for free.
- Findley tells Cass to be careful because she is now marked. Lara warns Cass that Jacob will become stronger if he stays in the human world. Lara gives Cass a pendant, and then the Blakes leave the city to head to their next destination.
Buy the Series
Interested in buying a copy of City of Ghosts or the rest of the series? Use our affiliate links below to help support the site!