Read a full summary of Legend by Marie Lu below. If you can’t remember what happened in Legend and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
You’ve got the wealthy Republic– government conspiracy– think murder setups, disease spread through the water system, and individual meal rations determined by the powers that be. June was born into this and trained for the military. It is all she knows and believes it to be right. Then you have the Colonies (aka slums). These people have it hard and are basically the guinea pigs of society. Survival of the fittest. Day is a rebel activist in this group– most wanted by the Republic. After the murder of her brother, June hunts down the guy (Day) she thinks was responsible. They fall for each other and June abandons the Republic.
What happened in Legend?
- June’s parents died when she was younger. Her brother Metias basically raised her. One night while he is on duty, Day (most wanted criminal) sneaks into the hospital to steal drugs to help his sick brother dying of the plague. He is caught by June’s brother, but stabs him in the shoulder and escapes. Metias ends up dying.
- Thomas, a close family friend tries to comfort June. He has the hots for her.
- June is a prodigy– got a perfect score on her military exam. She is shocked to learn that the Commander gave her the mission of hunting down her brother’s killer.
- She goes undercover in the Slums to seek out Day. She meets a hot boy with street smarts along with his friend Tess. She obviously falls for him without knowing it is Day. He is clueless about her as well. Some kissing happens in the alley. The crap will hit the fan.
- She discovers that he is Day when she sees him reach for his missing pendant, the item that was found at her brother’s crime scene. She then sets him up. He attempts to save his family, but walks right into the trap. The soldiers kill his mother and take his brothers into captivity. He is stunned that June betrayed him.
- June is placed in charge of interrogating him. She slowly learns that the Republic is effed up and begins to side with Day. She discovers that Day is a prodigy as well. She also realizes he didn’t try to kill her brother– the stab wound that killed him was in the chest, not the shoulder where Day stabbed him. Someone else killed Matias.
- June and Day grow closer over their next several encounters. June starts to trust Day and begins questioning the Republic altogether.
- She locates some secret journals and a website Metias had been keeping. He knew the Republic was up to no good and that something might happen to him. Thomas killed Matias!!
- She helps Day escape and they leave the Republic. In the chaos, Day’s brother John sacrifices himself for Day.
How did Legend end?
June locates a girl from the slums that she met while trying to find Day. She is a Patriot– a group of people in the Colonies trying to rise against the Republic. She makes a deal with the Patriots and manages to plan an escape the day of Day’s trial. The plan almost works entirely, but they run into some trouble and John ends up pretending to be Day so that Day can escape. The Republic buys it and kill him. June and Day get the hell outta Dodge.
Any weird terminology?
Republic: The wealthy government & military in charge.
Colonies: The poor people in society living in the slums.
Patriots: Group of people working to rise up against the Republic.