Here is a spoiler summary of what happened in Stolen by Kelley Armstrong to help refresh your memory before you read the sequel.
What happened in Stolen?
- The prologue shows a shaman escaping from some kind of facility, and then dying.
- Elena heads to a meeting with a woman called Paige, because Elena heard she wants to talk about werewolves. Paige says she’s a witch, and she knows Elena is a werewolf, and they have stuff to talk about. Elena denies everything. Another witch, Ruth, arrives and explains there’s a meeting happening in a couple of days and Elena and the Pack should come along. Someone is hunting supernatural creatures and they need to stop them.
- Elena saves Paige from being killed (or captured) by a half-demon who they call Houdini. Ruth also steps in and they manage to hide from him.
- Elena goes to Jeremy and together they head to the supernatural convention… I mean, meeting. They discuss different kinds of creatures there, and meet Adam (half-demon), Ken (shaman), and Cassandra (vampire).
- The group heads out for dinner, and Elena gets a bit shy around Cassandra when they’re talking about feeding.
- Adam gets super angry when a guy blocks his car in and then is rude to him. He burns Elena’s arms when she tries to stop him from going after the human.
- Clay shows up when Jeremy and Elena are back at the lodge. There are people there, seemingly supernatural hunters, and the werewolves kill them.
- They take a severed head to the meeting the following day and Jeremy says they’re out. Someone from the meeting must have leaked the information that the werewolves were around. They’ll take care of these hunters themselves.
- On the way home, Elena and Clay are racing their cars. Elena swerves to avoid someone who was standing in the road and is captured.
- Elena wakes up in a facility. Here, people are testing and experimenting on supernatural beings. Houdini, whose real name is Xavier, is working for them. They weren’t able to contain him because of his teleportation powers.
- Elena sees a couple of other prisoners (“guests”). One is a half demon called Leah, and the other is a twelve year old witch called Savannah. It’s heavily implied that the scientists killed Savannah’s mother, Eve.
- Xavier brings a mutt called Lake along, who gets aggressive with Elena. Elena turns her hand into a claw and hurts him. The scientists got all this on camera and Elena is annoyed with herself for letting that happen.
- Elena talks to Leah for a bit, who is convinced there’s a poltergeist hanging around Savannah.
- Ruth is captured. She speaks to Elena using a spell, and says Paige will be in touch in a similar fashion. Sure enough, Paige talks to Elena using her mind. She then pulls Elena into her body, so Elena can speak to Jeremy. Elena tries to speak to Clay, who doesn’t believe Elena is in Paige’s body.
- Bauer is obviously going through something because she injects herself with Elena’s saliva in order to become a werewolf. Everyone agrees that this is a bad idea.
- Tyrone Winsloe arrives and meets Elena. He’s a creep. He tells Elena to get changed and tells her they’ll be hunting Lake that evening.
- They try to hunt Lake, with Winsloe dragging Elena along on his weird RPG style game, but Lake gets trapped halfway between wolf and human form. One of the guards shoots him.
- Elena overhears some guards talking about bringing in a vampire.
- Bauer is struggling through the Change. Dr Carmichael has to ask for Elena’s advice, since they don’t know what to do.
- Elena goes to the weight room with Tyrone. He’s annoying, and she doesn’t get a good workout.
- Elena wakes up when people start shouting. Savannah is upset, and Ruth is dead. Savannah thinks she may have killed her accidentally.
- Bauer almost Changes and Elena has to restrain her.
- Elena gets into some astral projection business, and she sees Clay threaten Cassandra and Cassandra being really freaking annoying.
- Armen “escapes” and Winsloe needs Elena to track him. She does so, and Winsloe commands Elena to kill Armen. She refuses and throws Winsloe away, and then Armen sacrifices himself.
- The guards are taking Elena back to her cell and they start to threaten her. Xavier arrives and starts annoying everyone. He takes her to the infirmary. Bauer wakes up and is angry. She tells Carmichael that Elena did this to her so Elena is taken back to her cell.
- There’s a commotion and Elena is taken back to the infirmary. Bauer is now a wolf and Carmichael is dead. The guards want Elena to enter the room and get the sedatives. Xavier shows up to help Elena, who refuses to Change to fight Bauer.
- Elena is back in her cell when Winsloe shows up with photos of Clay. He’s in wolf form, and Winsloe said his men killed him. Elena doesn’t think this is true but she gets emotional and shifts to wolf form.
- Bauer is put in the cell next to Elena’s. Elena manages to escape, and while she initially tries to help Bauer, Savannah, and Leah out, only she makes it. Clay is outside and helps fend off the dogs.
- Elena is reunited with Jeremy.
- Paige asks Elena some questions and Elena admits that Ruth is dead. Paige figured as much but is still very upset. The group discuss what happened and they figure that Leah is actually super powerful and was probably behind all the poltergeisting.
- Paige and Elena work together to come up with a map of the compound. Then Paige tries to sneak off in the night. She admits to Elena that Ruth was her mother, and that she (Paige) is the new Coven Leader.
- Paige plans to go and rescue Savannah by herself, particularly because there’s a sorceror there who probably hates witches. The Pack won’t let her go, and instead they all come up with a plan to save the girl.
How did Stolen end?
Paige, Adam, Clay, and Elena head into the compound to rescue the prisoners. They kill a bunch of guards, and Adam incinerates a door.
They free Savannah, and then head to Mr Zaid, who turns out to be a sorceror called Katzen. Oh dear. He and Paige fight. Savannah binds Leah, who’s trying to take her away, and Paige manages to fight Katzen off long enough for the others to kill him.
Elena and Clay kill Winscoe and clear up the compound so there’s no trace of supernatural stuff there.
That’s what happened in Stolen! Check out our recap list for more recaps. If you can’t find what you need, you can request a recap from us! Want to buy any books in the Women of the Otherworld series? Use our affiliate link to help support the site!