Rhine Ellery is kidnapped and sold to be a bride to Linden Ashby, along with two other girls, Jenna and Cecily. Lindens first wife, Rose, is twenty one, and she is dying. In this world women die at the age of 20 and men at 25. Rhine finds herself growing attached to a servant called Gabriel and plans to escape with him back to her twin brother Rowan.
What went down
- Rhine Ellery is abducted and taken to be a bride to Linden Ashby, along with two other girls Jenna and Cecily. Neither of these girls have met before the wedding.
- Lindens father, Housemaster Vaughn, keeps his son in the dark about everything. He also arranged to have the girls abducted and the ones he didn’t want, to be shot.
- Rhine has Heterochromia – her left eye is blue and the right eye is brown. This condition saved her life, otherwise she would have been shot instead of kidnapped.
- Linden already has one wife, Rose, she is twenty one and dying because of the virus that makes women die at 20 and men at 25. Rhine and her become sort of friends before she dies. Rose tells Rhine that she doesn’t mind Linden having three other wives. Rose just wants him to be happy.
- Linden visits Rhine’s room a couple of times but he doesn’t make sexual advances. Linden and Cecily have the first sexual encounter and soon after Cecily falls pregnant.
- Rhine meets a servant called Gabriel whom Housemaster Vaughn bought at an auction when he was nine. She talks to him like a friend instead of a servant and they become attached.
- Gabriel and Rhine accidentally end up in the basement and they see Housemaster Vaughn taking away Rose to be experimented on. He will do anything to find a cure for the virus.
- Rhine finds out that Linden had another baby before with Rose but it died. One of the servants tells Rhine that she heard the baby cry before Lindens father told Rose it died.
- Rhine and Linden go out to a social event and after, Linden kisses her.
- There is a hurricane and Rhine jumps from her window in an attempt to escape. But she fails and Linden finds her again.
- Housemaster Vaughn threatens Rhine to not escape again.
- Gabriel and Rhine kiss.
- Gabriel gets sent to the basement and Rhine worries about him.
- Cecily gives birth to a baby boy one month early. She calls him Bowen.
- Linden gives Rhine an elevator card, meaning she can go wherever she wants. Jenna then sets the sitting room on fire so Rhine can look for Gabriel.
- Jenna dies soon after. Rhine suspects Housemaster Vaughn had something to do with her death. She later finds out that Cecily told Housemaster Vaughn about Rhine kissing Gabriel and how Jenna helped them by setting the sitting room on fire.
- Rhine begins to grow fond of Linden, her husband. But she still wants to escape and find her twin brother.
How did it end?
Rhine and Gabriel escape the mansion and head for Rhine’s home in Manhattan. Cecily helps them.
Gatherers – they make a living collecting brides and selling them off to breed new children.
The First Wife, this doesn’t refer to the order of marriage, it is the position of power. The first wife attends all of the social events and is basically the favourite.
Sister wives…the wives that Linden has married in addition to Rhine.