Read a full summary of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer below. If you can’t remember what happened in Twilight and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
After moving to Forks to live with her father, Bella meets the mysterious and attractive Edward. Later, she finds out that he is actually a vampire. Everything’s perfect until a group of evil vampires come through the area and find out about Bella (the “human”). One decides to track her down and kill her, and almost succeeds. Edward saves the day and they live happily ever after… until New Moon.
What happened in Twilight?
- The story starts with Bella Swan moving to live with her father in Forks, Washington so her mother can run off with her new husband.
- Bella attracts the attention of multiple guys at school, even though she claims she is plain and boring. She doesn’t pay them any attention though because she is too busy drooling over a group of pale and beautiful students who sit at a table by themselves during lunch. She finds out they’re the Cullen family.
- One of the pale guys, Edward Cullen, treats her very strange. He glares at her, sits as far away from her as possible, and even tries to switch out of the class he has with her. What’s his problem?! After taking a week off, he comes back to school and suddenly decides to act normal around Bella. Huh.
- The next week the roads are icy and Bella almost gets killed when a blue van hits a patch of ice and comes sliding towards her. Luckily, Edward magically appears and shields her. Yay Edward!
- Bella goes with her friends to the First Beach at La Push where she meets Jacob Black. He tells her about the myth on the reservation that the Cullens are cold bloods and that the tribe he is part of descended from wolves. Ah ha! Things are starting to click into place.
- With the spring dance coming up, Bella decides to help her friends buy their dresses. She decides to wander off on her own, but gets cornered by four creepy men with bad intentions. Again, Edward arrives just in time and takes her to safety. But wait, how did he know she was there?
- Bella and Edward eat dinner together. He confirms he can read minds, is not hurt by garlic or crosses, and can go out in sunlight. Bella tells him she knows he is a vampire and loves him anyway.
- While everyone is at the dance, Edward takes Bella to a meadow so he can find out what happens to his skin during the sunlight. He sparkles! He tells her she is his brand of heroin. Romantic.
- Bella learns that vampires have gifts based off how they were when they were humans. Edward can read minds, Alice can see the future, Jasper can manipulate emotions, and the other members of the family can do other boring things like lift weights.
- Bella meets Edward’s family and watches them play baseball during a storm (necessary because the thunder covers the loud smack of them hitting the ball with a baseball bat). Another group of vampires show up, and notice Bella. Mmm tasty. The Cullen family tell them to back off and they leave.
- Edward freaks out because with his mind-reading powers he found out that James wants to kill Bella. He’s tracking her. Edward kidnaps Bella and tries to take her away to safety.
- Bella comes up with a plan. She runs home, tells Charlie she’s going back to live with her mom, and runs off with Alice and Jasper. She planned on meeting up with Edward later.
- While being babysat by Alice and Jasper, Bella receives a phone call from her mother. She sounds distraught. James picks up the line and informs Bella that he has her mother and to meet him alone.
- Bella sneaks away from Alice and Jasper and finds James at her old ballet studio. James breaks her legs, her ribs and bites her. She faints.
- Bella wakes up to find Edward and his family there. Her hand burns like crazy. She was poisoned by James. Oh no! Edward has to suck it out, which is incredibly hard because she is so delicious, but he succeeds. She later finds out they killed James.
- After making up some story about Bella falling down two flights of stairs and out the window, Bella’s parents meet her at the hospital. She tells them she is going back to Forks.
How did it end?
In the epilogue, Edward surprises Bella by taking her to prom. Jacob shows up, sent by his father to warn Bella about dating Edward. She doesn’t care. Bella pesters Edward about changing her into a vampire, but he refuses but assures her he will love her forever.
Any weird terminology?
Cold ones – The name used by the Quileutes to describe vampires. Enemies of the Quieleutes.