August 18, 2020
Read a full summary of Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer below. If you can’t remember what happened in Eclipse and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in Eclipse?
- Prologue: Bella is in danger. Again.
- Bella receives a letter from Jacob telling them they can no longer be friends.
- Charlie hears about a killing spree in Seattle, Washington. He encourages Bella not to hang out with Edward, mostly because he’s dull.
- Edward tells Bella that the Cullens believe there are newborn vampires behind the killings.
- Edward doesn’t let Bella see Jacob. Seems healthy.
- Edward and Bella go to see her mum in florida. When they get back, Jacob shows up at the school. He tells her Victoria is hanging around and the werewolves are trying to hunt her.
- Edward leaves Bella with Alice (!) and Bella manages to sneak off to see Jacob. She gets back and Edward is super angry with her (!).
- Rosalie confides in Bella and tells her she was desperate to have a baby, but obviously as a vampire she can no longer do so. Rosalie tells Bella to stay human.
- Jacob takes Bella away on his motorbike. Jacob tells Bella about his feelings for her, and also about the infamous imprinting that werewolves deal with. Bella tells Jacob her plans to become a vampire and Jacob gets angry with her.
- Edward says he will allow (!) Bella to see Jacob.
- Edward picks up the scent of another vampire in Bella’s house. Thankfully it seems to have left. Jacob sniffs about so he can show his pack and hunt the vampire down.
- More people die in Seattle.
- Is there going to be a baby vampire army?!
- Bella is now less keen on the idea of marrying Edward so soon after graduation.
- Jasper tells his story about how he was turned into a vampire in order to serve in the army. He lectures everyone on newborn vampires and how they’re unskilled. The Cullens decide to step in and stop the vampires in Seattle, in case the Volturi show up and ask why Bella isn’t a vampire.
- Jacob kisses Bella against her will and tells her he loves her. She punches him and breaks her hand, lol.
- Bella thinks the baby vampire army is after her. I wonder who could be leading them…
- Bella has a graduation party at the Cullen’s house. Jacob and a couple of other werewolves show up. Alice has a vision about the vampires heading to Forks. The vampires and werewolves agree to work together against the baby vamps. Jasper tells everyone how to kill the vamps.
- Edward and Jacob hide Bella in the woods so she isn’t near the battle. Seth, Jacob’s cousin, will guard her.
- Bella tells Edward she wants them to have sex before she turns into a vampire. Edward refuses because a) gross, and b) he might hurt her. He finally agrees, but only if Bella marries him. He proposes on the spot.
- Edward, Jacob, and Bella end up sleeping in a tent in the woods before the battle. Bella is freezing, so has to snuggle up to Jacob in order to stay warm. Edward and Jacob talk, and Edward says he will let Bella go if she chooses Jacob.
- Jacob finds out that Edward and Bella are engaged. He says he’ll kill himself during the battle. He kisses Bella again, and Bella realises she is in love with Jacob too.
- The battle is going on, and then Victoria appears. Surprise? Edward kills Victoria and Seth kills her partner. The Volturi arrive at this point once the battle is over.
- Jacob promises to let her go, but says he’ll always be waiting for her.
- Bella is super upset about everything, including the wedding, which she only seems to be doing for her parents. There is so much to unpack here…
- Bella gives Jacob an invitation to the wedding and he gets angry and runs off.