Read a full summary of New Moon by Stephenie Meyer below. If you can’t remember what happened in New Moon and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in New Moon?
- Bella has just turned 18, and is stressed because she’s getting old. Now that I’m older this is even more hilarious. She wants Edward to turn her into a vampire now so she won’t age, but he refuses.
- The Cullens throw her a birthday party and Bella cuts herself accidentally, causing Jasper to lose control. He attacks Bella and she gets a wound on her arm. Only Carlisle and Edward aren’t put off by the smell of blood.
- Carlisle patches Bella up and tells her that Edward believes that vampires are soulless, so he doesn’t want to turn her into one of them.
- Edward runs off because he’s upset. He doesn’t come back and Bella is very upset. She spends several months staring out of the window (at least, that’s how the movie portrayed it).
- Bella realises that if she puts her life in danger, Edward will speak to her in her head. She starts doing all sorts in order to hear his voice.
- Bella reconnects with Jacob, who has grown up a bit now (although he is still 16).
- Bella starts to develop a crush on Jacob.
- Bella visits her and Edward’s old meadow. She bumps into Laurent, who’s James’ friend. Laurent tells Bella that Victoria is after Bella for killing James, who was Victoria’s mate. Laurent decides to kill Bella instead, and a pack of wolves protect her. I wonder what this could be.
- Bella tries to save Jacob from a gang leader called Sam, but it’s okay because Jacob has actually just joined a pack of werewolves. Apparently werewolves are supposed to protect humans from vampires. Carlisle sorted out a peace treaty years ago because the Cullens don’t eat humans.
- Jacob promises to protect Bella from Victoria.
- Bella goes cliff dicing and Jacob has to save her from drowning.
- Bella bumps into Alice, who tells her that she saw Bella jump off the cliff. Alice is shocked that Bella survived. It turns out that werewolves block Alice’s sightseeing powers, so she didn’t see Jacob save Bella.
- Unfortunately, Alice already told Edward that Bella had died (news travels fast). Edward decides to get the vampire leaders – the Volturi – to kill him. Edward plans to provoke them by walking out into the sun, sparkle in front of humans, and expose them to the sparkly vampire world.
- Bella heads to Italy to stop this foolishness. She and Alice get captured by the Volturi and Aro, their leader, tells Edward he has to make a decision on whether or not he is going to turn Bella into a vampire.
- Alice shows Aro that Bella becomes a vampire in the future, and so Aro releases them all.
- Edward and Bella head back to Forks and get back together.
- Jacob tells Bella that if she turns into a vampire, the werewolves will have to kill the Cullens for breaking the treaty.