August 20, 2020
Read a full summary of Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer below. If you can’t remember what happened in Breaking Dawn and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
what happened in Breaking Dawn?
- Prologue: Bella is in trouble. Again. Someone is about to kill her and she is about to sacrifice herself.
- Bella is driving her new car and sees a missing poster for Jacob. Sad.
- Bella and Edward plan to attend college together after their honeymoon. I’m sure it’ll all go swimmingly. Edward is sad that he’ll never be able to have kids with Bella.
- Carlisle once told Bella about the Denali vampires who created an immortal child. The Volturi killed it because vampire children are dangerous.
- Bella and Edward get married. Jacob shows up at the reception and he and Bella dance. He gets angry when Bella says she’ll be sleeping with Edward soon. Not sure why you’d announce that…
- Bella and Edward head to Isle Esme for their honeymoon. It is indeed an island that Carlisle bought for Esme.
- Bella realises she is now pregnant a few days later. Edward wants to terminate the pregnancy, especially because the bump is growing rapidly. They head back to Forks.
- Jacob hears about Bella returning to Forks. He also hears that she’s sick, and he thinks this is because she’s becoming a vampire. He shows up at the Cullen house alone, after the rest of the werewolves refuse to help him attack the vampires for breaking the treaty.
- Jacob realises that Bella is pregnant, and the baby is killing her. Edward wants to give Jacob to Bella to give her another baby. Edward tells Jacob to kill him if Bella dies.
- Bella plans to stay alive to deliver the baby, and then Edward will make her a vampire. The werewolves don’t like this plan because the baby sounds dangerous. Half the pack refuse to fight though.
- Bella starts drinking blood, which makes her feel better. The baby starts breaking her bones. Bella calls her Renesmee. Edward starts to hear the baby’s thoughts.
- The baby arrives and Bella almost dies, but Edward makes her a vampire just in time.
- Jacob, uh, imprints on the baby.
- The Cullens try to stop Bella from seeing Renesmee in case she tries to kill her for blood. Bella attacks Jacob for imprinting on her baby.
- Jacob tells Charlie that he’s a werewolf, and preps him for the news about Bella. Charlie meets Renesmee and thinks she’s cute, I guess.
- Renesmee starts to grow up really quickly. She goes out hunting with the family, and Irina spots her. She thinks she’s a vampire child (made, instead of born) and goes off to tell the Volturi about it. Alice sees this in a vision and thinks the Volturi will come along and fight the Cullens. Alice goes off with Jasper.
- Alice leaves a note for Bella, instructing her to find J Jenkins. Bella asks Jenkins to create ID for Jacob and Renesmee so they can escape.
- The Cullens get all their friends to come along to Forks in preparation for the fight. While training, Bella realises she can use a special power that shields other people from the Volturi’s mental powers.
- The Volturi arrive, and there’s no decent fight. They realise that Irina was mistaken, so they kill her. They don’t know whether Renesmee is a threat or not.
- Alice and Jasper show back up with a man called Nahuel, who is also half-human like Renesmee. He seems fine, and also immortal.
- The Volturi leave and it’s all fine.