Katy moves to West Virginia, and gets involved with Dee and Daemon – her neighbours who turn out to be aliens with deadly enemies. They have to fight to keep the enemies from stealing their alien powers, while also trying to keep their alien-selves a secret from the town. Oh, and the government doesn’t allow the aliens to get involved with humans. Uh-oh.
What went down?
- Katy moves to a new town, and her only neighbours are Dee and Daemon Black. She makes friends with the former, but Daemon turns out to be a complete ass and he stays that way throughout most of the book.
- Katy is attacked in the street, but Daemon saves her so it’s all good.
- Katy notices weird things happen around Dee and Daemon, so she confronts Daemon about it. After arguing with him and almost getting hit by a truck, Daemon reveals that he and Dee are Luxen – an alien being of light from across the universe.
- Daemon and Dee’s friends – Ash, Andrew, and Adam – are also Luxen. Luxen are born in threes, which must mean – you got it – Dee and Daemon have a secret sibling named Dawson!
- Mr Garrison, a teacher at Katy’s school, is a Luxen too. They are everywhere!
- It turns out that Daemon was being an ass to Katy to protect Dee. The government provides the Luxen with money and housing, but they don’t want them mixing with humans more than is necessary.
- Daemon tells Katy how Dawson got involved with a human girl called Bethany, and both of them were killed. So, I can’t really blame Daemon for being a twit.
- A group of Arum, enemies of the Luxen, have arrived in town. They want to take Dee and Daemon’s powers. It was an Arum that attacked Katy in the street.
- Daemon is driving Katy home from a party when three Arum attack. Daemon kills one using his alien powers, and Katy manages to kill the second using obsidian, but one gets away. Bloody Baruck.
- Daemon and Katy literally make things explode when they make out for the first time. It’s hot and it’s steamy. Afterwards, Katy glows, because that’s what happens when Luxen use their powers around humans. It leaves a trace.
How did it end?
Katy draws the remaining Arum away from Dee by using her glowing self. Baruck follows her to a field, and an epic battle ensues between the Arum and Katy, Daemon and Dee. It ends when Katy taps into D2’s light and kills the Arum. Later, Daemon tells Katy that he thinks they should date, but Katy tells him to shove it. WOOP *fist bump*
Any weird terminology?
Luxen: An alien being of light that has all sorts of powers.
Arum: Enemies of the Luxen who want to steal their powers.
Obsidian: Volcanic glass that is deadly to Arum.
Beta quartz: Throws off the Luxen energy signature, hiding their location from enemies. There is beta quartz in the mountains near the town.
Trace: What is left on humans when they get close to Luxen while using their powers. Luxen and Arum can see it the glow, but it’s invisible to humans.