Read a full summary of The Last Council by Kazu Kibuishi below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Last Council and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
Thank you to Christine for recapping this series!
Emily has reached Cielis, but things are not what they seem. She goes to the Acadmey with Max only to find out he has duped her all along and is actually working with the elves. Cogsley and Miskit find an older Stonekeeper named Vigo and convince him to come help Emily — the two of them are the Last Guardian Council.
what happened in The Last Council?
- Max tells Emily he is Captain of the Cielis Guard and aspires to be on the Guardian Council.
- Leon is not allowed to go with Emily to the Academy despite his orders to deliver her to the Council. This is the first sign something seems amiss.
- Luger & Trellis are imprisoned.
- Leon, Enzo, & Rico discover Cielis is a ghost town. They meet Alyson and her parents at their restaurant who tell Leon, Enzo & Rico they are in danger. Alyson’s parents are arrested and she leaves with Leon, Enzo, & Rico. Alyson leads them to the prison to look for Trellis & Luger.
- Meanwhile, Cogsley and Miskit find a baby dragon they name Dagno. They are picked up by Vigo, a Stonekeeper who served with Silas on the Guardian Council years ago.
- Vigo reveals some history: Silas wanted to destroy the Mother Stone and Vigo helped vote him off the Council, which he regrets. Shortly after, the Elves attacked Cielis. Vigo trained his son Daniel to be Stonekeeper. When Daniel was killed, Vigo became Stonekeeper once again.
- Vigo doesn’t want to get involved now, but Misket tell him Silas has died and Emily needs his help as Silas’ successor.
- Emily is taken to be tested with Max and some other kids. They are told they are in a place called The Void, but they are actually in the catacombs beneath Cielis. Emily, Max, Pierce, and Ronin escape through a drainpipe.
- Leon, Aly, Enzo, and Rico break Trellis and Luger out of prison.
- Vigo, Miskit, and Cogsley arrive as Trellis and Leon try to fight off the guards. An unknown, powerful Stonekeeper has animated stone statues to appear alive, so they are not battling real people.
- Emily, Max, Pierce, and Ronin, work together to solve a puzzle and get through the tests. Then they pass through the Hall of Humble Kings which Emily’s Amulet had warned her about earlier.
- Max then enters a vault and steals the last remaining piece of the Mother Stone. Pierce and Ronin turn to stone and Emily realizes they were not real. We now see that Max tricked Emily into helping him, and the Academy and everything he told her has all been lies.
- Max threatens to kill Emily’s family if she doesn’t let him leave with the Mother Stone. They let him go and Emily fights off creatures that turn to stone as they make their way out.
how did it end?
Emily, Navin, and their Mom reunite with the others (Trellis, Leon, Coglesy, Miskit) and meet Vigo & Dagno. Aly is reunited with her parents. Emily and Vigo talk. Vigo tells her Ronin and Pierce were his students once. Vigo and Emily are the only Stonekeepers left on their side – together they are the Last Guardian Council.