Read a full summary of The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa below. If you can’t remember what happened in The Iron Queen and you need a refresher, then you’re in the right place.
What happened in The Iron Queen?
- Meghan is determined to get the memory back of her father. She and Ash go speak to the oracle. The oracle asks for a token in exchange for the memory back.
- Ash and Meghan head to a cemetery to retrieve a token. They are chased off by a hellhound, but they do get a token and they’re able to get Meghan’s memory back.
- The two head to Queen Lea and get Meghan’s father back. He starts to regain his memories.
- Queen Lea allows Meghan and Ash to stay with her for a bit. Puck shows up and starts teaching Meghan to use Summer magic. She gets a bit better and is able to use it without becoming so sick.
- Meghan, Ash, and Puck head off to where the Courts are fighting the Iron Fey. Oberon and Mab ask Meghan to go and detroy the Iron King, as Meghan is the only one who doesn’t get sick in that realm.
- Meghan heads off, and Ash and Puck get given talismans to protect them from the effects of iron.
- The group meet with a group of rebels that are now based in Mechina’s old castle.
- Rowan shows up and starts messing with them, but they are able to escape.
- The rebels are attacked, and some of them are killed. They do ultimately win this battle, though.
- Meghan gathers the gremlins and tells them to fight the Iron King.
- The rebels join the Seelie and Unseelie forces in order to fight the Iron King.
- The floating Iron Fortress arrives. Meghan and the others battle the Iron King.
- Meghan discovers that the False King is actually Ferren, the original Iron King from the first book. Ferren tells Meghan that she was given the powers of the Iron King by Mechina, meaning she is now the Iron Queen.
- Meghan kills Ferren for being a pain. She does so by using both her Summer and Iron magic, and so she becomes really ill from the effects of it.
- Ash puts Meghan in a tree to heal, and Meghan ends up creating a new Iron realm. She is able to stop it from encroaching on other realms. She does become attached to it, though, and is unable to leave. Ash needs to find a way to live there with her.
Changeling: A faery offspring that has been switched with a human child.
Kelpie: A horse-like monster that lives in underwater
Mistwine: A type of feary wine that when taken in large quantities can make you forget things.
Seelie Court: The Court of Oberon. Also known as the Summer Court
Trod: Portals that allow travel between realms.
Unseelie Court: The Court of Mab, Queen of Air and Darkness. Also known as the Winter Court.
Witchwood: A living wood containing the spirit of nature and the power of the natural earth. Found only in the hearts of the most ancient of trees.
Wyvern: A cousin to a dragon, but not as intelligent, it is a beast that is highly territorial.